Brexit

Fran
Site Admin

Re: Brexit

Post by Fran »

I think we'll all get more adept at ordering from elsewhere in Europe when something isn't available locally - like everyone else we have been comfortable (lazy?) with the language barrier and historical closeness to the UK. It won't take long for the change though I think. Very quickly I think anyone considering any large purchase will look at the rest of the EU first. Right now, there is little difference in buying from the UK or USA...
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Taken my first steps. Ordered some tool parts from Milan Italy. The price is lower than the UK best price (assuming they were still in the EU).
Fran is 100% it will be a bit more effort and maybe longer delivery times but will have to be done.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Agree 100% with Fran. I buy a lot of car parts and used to order occasionally from EU mainland. Last year I pivoted to only order from EU mainland and found better choice, better prices and reasonable delivery costs so it's worked out well!

The only advantage I've found of Brexit so far is the VAT free element under €22 with Amazon Prime, but it isn't great for the carbon footprint!
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Mark wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:09 pm Agree 100% with Fran. I buy a lot of car parts and used to order occasionally from EU mainland. Last year I pivoted to only order from EU mainland and found better choice, better prices and reasonable delivery costs so it's worked out well!

The only advantage I've found of Brexit so far is the VAT free element under €22 with Amazon Prime, but it isn't great for the carbon footprint!
Hi, out of interest where in eu do you buy your parts?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I've used Carondo.com for years, not hugely well known but have great selection and pricing. In the last 6 months their selection isn't quite as broad however, but I've never been let down by them.
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Thanks. Ill try them

I've used these in the past
www.mister-auto.ie
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I was checking out some whiskey / whisky recently and I see the "whisky exchange" and "masters of malt" have suspended shipments to the E.U. due to the level of uncertainty with customs.

Hard to believe a bottle of Scotch is finding it hard to gain entry.

I'm currently awaiting spares spares for my car and have been warned by the garage that there is very long lead times for parts from the U.K.

I might have to consider a non Japanese car next time, perhaps a European made car?

Anybody else experiencing delays with gear?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

FWIW, Master of Malt stopped shipping to Ireland quite a while back, for the simple reason that laws in Ireland don't actually allow alcohol to be shipped here duty free. You can bring alcohol back from the EU, but you must accompany it, you can't mail order it.

I know this because a *ahem* LARGE order of mine from Master of Malt was stopped by customs and the friendly man at the customs office explained it all to me. Master of Malt didn't know this and reimbursed the extra taxes I had to pay, but they stopped shipping to Ireland soon after that! I had been ordering for delivery to a friend in Northern Ireland and then bringing stuff back personally, but it sounds like that is stopping too...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Have avoided buying anything from the UK recently, but I have received a couple of small parcels from ebay, the type of thing that is low value, and small packet and they came in the normal timeframe. I think the bigger issues are with the big courier firms.

No delays in stuff from the continent

Huge delays in stuff being posted with the USA - taking over a month for a letter to go from California to NY, and a similar time from Georgia (I think) to Chicago. Those were USPS untracked. The first one went to addresspal, it was here in 4 days after they received it. The second is still somewhere between Chicago and here (6 weeks after shipping). I have another parcel en route to addresspal, and its scheduled to arrive there at the end of the week/early next week, so we'll see how that goes.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

First attempt at buying something from the UK was successful for me. It was a secondhand USB cable and the guy marked it as valued at £20. Got here in 8 days and I think because of the size of the packet and value no customs interventions.

Continue to order stuff from Europe generally Germany and had my first return. The item I bought was missing a threaded insert. I never noticed initially but bought an accessory that used the insert luckily a couple of weeks later. Tried getting the tool manufacturer to engage locally as per the amazon website options but it defaulted to a UK helpline. The Irish office in Ballymount seems to be just a warehouse. Anyway long story but ended up having to send the item back and get a refund. The return postage costed me €35 for an item weighting 2.5kg. I got a refund for that from Amazon but I had to go digging to figure out how to do that.

UK have lost all purchases of that nature from me anyhow unless it is something I just have to get to keep a product going.
Sorry state of affairs.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.