Vinyl cleaning...

Ivor

Vinyl cleaning...

Post by Ivor »

For years now I've used my trusty Wet 'n' Vac record cleaner and I've been happy with it - a mix of Isopropyl alcohol, water and a drop of rinse-aid have worked well. At a time when I needed to stock up on Isopropyl I also had a bit of credit with an online store so I went for the well recommended l'Art do Sol vinyl cleaning fluid. It seems expensive at €35 (for a little bottle but that makes 5 litres) but with my credit and the fact that a little goes a long way it's actually quite reasonable. It has has revived some very old discs and brought out the best in some well loved formative records so it has "earned its keep!"

I do buy quite a few second hand records and have a taken a risk or two over the years on records that may have lined a queasy parrots cage. Many have turned out very well but understandably no cleaner can work miracles. This fluid does seem to work better than the usual Isopropyl alcohol, water combination and I'm having a ball going through records which were "fine" and making them "mint".

Similar to any new piece of equipment, an amp, a deck a cable etc... this stuff has me rediscovering my LP collection. There can be no better recommendation.

I know one or two in this parish have used this fluid as well...

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Re: Vinyl cleaning...

Post by DaveF »

I'll make note of this. Thanks for sharing.

A good RCM is something I'm missing from my setup and I plan to pick one up soonish. For those that have used them before how much would you need to spend to make it worthwhile and do a decent job?
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

The Project one is about €400. It takes minutes to clean and dry a disc so pretty handy.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I have been using a Nitty Gritty Record Cleaner for two decades now and I reckon it is well past its sell by date. Is the Project noisy?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Cyndale wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:08 pm I have been using a Nitty Gritty Record Cleaner for two decades now and I reckon it is well past its sell by date. Is the Project noisy?
Not particularly. A rotating motor and a small vacumn produce pretty much the noise you'd expect!

cybot

Post by cybot »

Forget the rest this is the future of record cleaning. Pity about the price.

https://theaudiophileman.com/degritter- ... ic-review/