Advice on 43" TV anyone?

Derek

Re: Advice on 43" TV anyone?

Post by Derek »

Ok, I may have discovered an upgrade before buying. I never knew about “full array led” before today and it might just be a game changer. But the price, ah f**k it, I have to get a better handle on this, but now I’m up to 49” and that wasn’t the plan.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

bigger TV is hard to refuse. I'd urge you to go to the bigger size, I don't think you'll regret it
Do or do not, there is no try
Derek

Post by Derek »

Always a good benchmark.
A bit like speakers, a good bigun beats a good littleun.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Sounds like you are on the slippery slope to buying a 75" all singing all dancing TV!!!

I remember recently viewing a Samsung 49"Q60R, but the shop attendant was steering me towards the 49" RU8000 Samsung. Very similar TV's, but one was Qled and the other was Premium LED type.

However the RU8000 despite being a slightly poorer screen had extra software or apps which the higher grade Qled did not.

I can't remember what they were now, but thought that was very surprising.

There is some good video clips on Youtube...... I found the Canadian outfit Rtings to be fairly good in their assessments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-szEOEDParM[/youtube]

Yes there is certain things to note, the larger TV's (55" or more) tend to have higher refresh rates, 120Hz vrs 60Hz than the smaller TV's 49" or smaller.

Full array local dimming may not be on all models, so if it is important then choose carefully. If the room is subjected to strong sunlight then certain screens may be more suitable than others.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Derek

Post by Derek »

Thanks Adrian
A lot of what you wrote I've pretty much gotten up to speed with over the last week.
I found the viewing angle for the Q series Samsung very narrow. It washed out a lot when watched off centre.
Rtings are very good and understandably can't cover every piece of equipment out there.

The sales staff I've been annoying in various outlets have been understanding of my TV ignorance, not having purchased one for 11 or 12 years.
I found the guys at my local Powercity by far the easiest to talk with. Their knowledge and patience are what you hope to find when you need real information. So armed with my internet specifications and reviews, combined with all the help and information from here, plus the first-hand day-to-day hands on experience of my new friends at Powercity I pulled the trigger on a Sony 49".

I got the XG9005BU, it's the series down from the exalted OLED, the 49" is the smallest they produce with a "full array" screen.
For those of you that are more tech savvy it uses, “X-tended Dynamic Range 6X technology”, I have no idea what that is, please don't explain it to me, I don't think I can grasp it. It also has "full array local dimming" that Adrian pointed to, this gives great contrast, down to noticing different shades of black. (I can now see the baddie sneaking up in the dark).
I probably won't use a fraction of the gizmos built into the thing, but the picture quality is worth the extra €€ over the normal LED.
Now all I need is a fist-full of cables to hook up everything bar the coffee machine.

I know I started out looking at 43", but it must be the "Spinal Tap" bit in my make up, that "one higher" train of thought that seems to be an Audiophile requisite.

A sincere thank you to all you guys for helping and encouraging my TV chase.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Long may you enjoy Derek 😊

Mine's an ancient 12 year old of Sony too 😊
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well done Derek, well done, looks a great TV.

I'm still using my pre saor view 12 YO Philips + combi box ..... too frightened to go down the upgrade path, plus my Cerebral processing ability is not what it used to be!!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Nice one. Enjoy!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

Thanks guys
Going from 32” to 49” everything’s a lot closer.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Derek wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:11 am Thanks Adrian
A lot of what you wrote I've pretty much gotten up to speed with over the last week.
I found the viewing angle for the Q series Samsung very narrow. It washed out a lot when watched off centre.
Rtings are very good and understandably can't cover every piece of equipment out there.

The sales staff I've been annoying in various outlets have been understanding of my TV ignorance, not having purchased one for 11 or 12 years.
I found the guys at my local Powercity by far the easiest to talk with. Their knowledge and patience are what you hope to find when you need real information. So armed with my internet specifications and reviews, combined with all the help and information from here, plus the first-hand day-to-day hands on experience of my new friends at Powercity I pulled the trigger on a Sony 49".

I got the XG9005BU, it's the series down from the exalted OLED, the 49" is the smallest they produce with a "full array" screen.
For those of you that are more tech savvy it uses, “X-tended Dynamic Range 6X technology”, I have no idea what that is, please don't explain it to me, I don't think I can grasp it. It also has "full array local dimming" that Adrian pointed to, this gives great contrast, down to noticing different shades of black. (I can now see the baddie sneaking up in the dark).
I probably won't use a fraction of the gizmos built into the thing, but the picture quality is worth the extra €€ over the normal LED.
Now all I need is a fist-full of cables to hook up everything bar the coffee machine.

I know I started out looking at 43", but it must be the "Spinal Tap" bit in my make up, that "one higher" train of thought that seems to be an Audiophile requisite.

A sincere thank you to all you guys for helping and encouraging my TV chase.
ENJOY! Don't forget to update us on how it looks and sounds!