Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by nige2000 »

Slc sd card arrived defo more clarity
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

See, this is what you guys do.

Tempt me with the promise of good sound and a simple setup.

And then it leads to the slippery slope of just a couple more changes for better sound ;)

BTW, I away last week, and then had to catch up this week, but hopefully can now spend some time on audio stuff.

I can help with the pin buzzing, but I think that's under control?

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Picked up the SD Card unit today and the LCD came away from the board, must be the heat lately that softened the adhesive.
Gave me the opportunity to complete the Pinout.
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Excellent work Pearse
Do or do not, there is no try
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, Pearse, great work, there's no stopping you when you get going
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

nige2000 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:51 pm Slc sd card arrived defo more clarity
Would agree. A fair bit more definition and clarity - bass is easily tighter and crisper. Better soundstage too.
tapatrick

Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by tapatrick »

I just received one of these SD cards and hope to try it out in the next week or so. Thanks for finding and sharing on this thread Nige.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Just a quick update after visiting Nige last week to find where to connect in the SD Card Player into the Meitner.....some Oscilliscope probing!!

I managed to get the SD Player working on the Meitner by desoldering some legs off the input on an isolation chip where the Data, Bclk and Lrck signals entered.
Did sound very good but needed power on the USB in to work.
Later investigation after breaking a leg on the chip brought me to taking signals from the inputs on the high speed differential signal driver chips after the Isolator and going this route i discovered with a good ground I did not need any USP connection or power.

Update: no Mclk needed as the Meitner has mDAT with Master clock, unfortunately I have one of those cards which does not play HiRez so not sure how it will work with higher bitrates....I think the Meitner might deal with oit OK if I can get a card that plays Hi Rez. Just checked the Specs and Hi Rez only on WAV so maybe I was trying FLAC files, need to check later, just seen that DSD is also handled so I will try this later as well.

Anyway spent what free time I had at the weekend getting a 3D printed case ready for the SD Player, a 6 chip LT3045 Regulator installed of a 10v supply in the Meitner to give 3.3v out to the SD card and finally added some CAT7 coiled cables (another story) on the Digital Board DC supply and on the 10v supply to the LT3045 supply powering the SD Player.

Finally brought the connections to the SD Player out through the top panel and closed it all up and it is now playing away for break in and sounding good so far.

Hopefully will be a nice demo Player & DAC combined to bring to the next meet for comparison.
Will post some pics this week as I expect there will be some interest in the case for the SD Card player.
The cases are a bit rough but work well for handling and will help prevent short circuits and allow some rough handling.

Thanks to Nige for helping get this project to a conclusion.
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Very cool, looking forward to seeing the pics (and hearing in time)
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Have the SD Player in a 3D printed case on top of the Meitner which works well.
Drilled a hole above the digital out on the Meitner so short wires direct into the back of the unit and it is held firm at the moment with double back tape.
Only one clock frequency working at the moment for 44 & 88 files so will have to go back in later to find an easy way to enable clock changes.
I have wired in some CAT7 for DC 3.3 to the SD card and another for the 10v DC to the Meitner digital board.
These are in printed cylinders to keep them tidy, need more pics of the final layout.

Some pics below and may open another thread on this if I get time to take it further.
Sounds great though and getting better each day.