Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Thanks Shane you've reignited my interest in Rory's later albums! A few gaps to fill methinks.

Photofinish

Stage Struck

Calling Card

Against the Grain

Played an ep promo of Photo Finish and it blew me to far side of the house. Don't ever remember it sounding this good! Actually the Chrysalis albums sound a lot more pumped up than his other albums. Definitely a drive towards a more commercial sound but such guitar playing! Kudos to Alan O'Duffy and Rory too for the production duties.

Wonder is it the new Titan block and cables casting their spell :) I'll say no more......

Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:55 pm Played an ep promo of Photo Finish and it blew me to far side of the house. Don't ever remember it sounding this good! Actually the Chrysalis albums sound a lot more pumped up than his other albums. Definitely a drive towards a more commercial sound but such guitar playing! Kudos to Alan O'Duffy and Rory too for the production duties.

Wonder is it the new Titan block and cables casting their spell :) I'll say no more......
Good to see you've got into Photofinish. I believe it was the only album of Gallagher's that was not issued on CD in his lifetime - he wanted to remix it and it became the first album to be remixed with the late 90s reissues. These particular reissues are a mixed bag with some albums enhanced too much, track listings were changed too much, and the original album covers were disposed of in favour of "tasteful" B&W shots, but feel at least that the remix of Photofinish enhanced it a good deal - especially on tracks like Shadowplay - although the original version is still impressive - as featured on the 2012 reissue.
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:55 pm Thanks Shane you've reignited my interest in Rory's later albums! A few gaps to fill methinks.

Photofinish

Stage Struck

Calling Card

Against the Grain

Played an ep promo of Photo Finish and it blew me to far side of the house. Don't ever remember it sounding this good! Actually the Chrysalis albums sound a lot more pumped up than his other albums. Definitely a drive towards a more commercial sound but such guitar playing! Kudos to Alan O'Duffy and Rory too for the production duties.

You can't beat a bit of Rory, Dermot!Something good on all those you mentioned. I do like Calling Card too. Tatoo'd Lady from Tatoo is a particular favourite song of mine from any artist too.
Video not working for me by the way :-(
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:32 pm
cybot wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:55 pm Played an ep promo of Photo Finish and it blew me to far side of the house. Don't ever remember it sounding this good! Actually the Chrysalis albums sound a lot more pumped up than his other albums. Definitely a drive towards a more commercial sound but such guitar playing! Kudos to Alan O'Duffy and Rory too for the production duties.

Good to see you've got into Photofinish. I believe it was the only album of Gallagher's that was not issued on CD in his lifetime - he wanted to remix it and it became the first album to be remixed with the late 90s reissues. These particular reissues are a mixed bag with some albums enhanced too much, track listings were changed too much, and the original album covers were disposed of in favour of "tasteful" B&W shots, but feel at least that the remix of Photofinish enhanced it a good deal - especially on tracks like Shadowplay - although the original version is still impressive - as featured on the 2012 reissue.
I think I'll be going for an original Chrysalis :) Thanks for the info. Obviously from a huge Rory fan 🎸🎸🎸🎸🎸
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:12 pm
cybot wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:55 pm Thanks Shane you've reignited my interest in Rory's later albums! A few gaps to fill methinks.

Photofinish

Stage Struck

Calling Card

Against the Grain

You can't beat a bit of Rory, Dermot!Something good on all those you mentioned. I do like Calling Card too. Tatoo'd Lady from Tatoo is a particular favourite song of mine from any artist too.

I used to have an original of CC but stupidily got rid of it 😱

Yeah TL is a good one.....

Anyway try this link Shane. Enjoy....

https://youtu.be/fpj-VHER0kM
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Photofinish

Stage Struck

Calling Card

Against the Grain

Thanks Dermot, brilliant.A great live performer but a really humble guy off stage. Heard him interviewed numerous times over the years and he came across as really down to earth, witty and self depracating despite being a huge talent imho...
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:44 pm
cybot wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks Dermot, brilliant.A great live performer but a really humble guy off stage. Heard him interviewed numerous times over the years and he came across as really down to earth, witty and self depracating despite being a huge talent imho...

Totally agree with you. Earthy, witty and self deprecating. A fantastic guy. I miss him.

Can't believe you posted the video because I was thinking about that performance earlier. I obviously have it in DVD but not on vinyl. Love it too. So I was wondering about the triple vinyl set of Kickback City which has the Cork performance on the set. Not sure whether it's on the double half. Pretty expensive especially as I'm not really interested in the rest of the package. What do you think?
tweber

Post by tweber »

Can't believe you posted the video because I was thinking about that performance earlier. I obviously have it in DVD but not on vinyl. Love it too. So I was wondering about the triple vinyl set of Kickback City which has the Cork performance on the set. Not sure whether it's on the double half. Pretty expensive especially as I'm not really interested in the rest of the package. What do you think?
Yeah, a great performance and Mark Feltham was brilliant on it too.
Expensive if you're only buying it for the 7 live tracks I suppose, they are good ones. Pity it was never given a proper audio release as a stand alone album.
I bought Kickback City on cd when it was released first and it is a nicely packaged set. Also I was biased I suppose as I was at that Rory show when it was recorded in Cork
You might get lucky on discogs.Can you have enough Rory though Dermot? :-)
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:39 pm
Yeah, a great performance and Mark Feltham was brilliant on it too.
Expensive if you're only buying it for the 7 live tracks I suppose, they are good ones. Pity it was never given a proper audio release as a stand alone album.
I bought Kickback City on cd when it was released first and it is a nicely packaged set. Also I was biased I suppose as I was at that Rory show when it was recorded in Cork
You might get lucky on discogs.Can you have enough Rory though Dermot? :-)
Nice one! You were actually at the gig 🎸 Must watch it again tonight. After Dancing With The Stars ;)

Yeah Discogs have it but it works out at roughly the same price especially when you take the postage into consideration. To tell the truth I'd still pay over the odds for Rory :)

I see it's only a single Live one too......
tweber

Post by tweber »

After Dancing With The Stars
Or Dancing with the staff as I heard it called by Dave Fanning!
Anyways, no comment on that other than I hope you're joking :-)

Interesting article here even if it's nothing new for fans, some nice clips on it too:
https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/ ... 0s-albums/
Part 2 next week