Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by Fran »

On the lenco Dermot!!

Anyone looking for a really great TT and willing to do a bit of work - well, these are really good TTs. Rock solid bass, very good stability, and very quiet. But, you do need to build a heavy plinth for them and fit a decent arm.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

On the other TT:

fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening tonight to the Beach Boys' evergreen classic, Surf's Up, which is the closest they ever came to equalling the immortal Pet Sounds.

If God Only Knows is, possibly, the greatest song ever written, then Surf's Up comes nerve-janglingly close:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYIlH4n ... re=related

And what about 'Til I Die - such exquisite beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcUeSDMl ... re=related

The oh-so-beautiful Disney Girls - alas, you really can't go home again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWs8Ia71 ... re=related

The deeply trippy Feel Flows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPPq_Cda ... re=related

And, finally, Brian Wilson's seriously underrated A Day in the Life of a Tree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VeHmh2B5nY

Does it really matter that the Beach Boys never came close to such pop perfection ever again? In the end, we have what we have and, like all the great music, it will outlast us all.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot

Post by cybot »

Since I can't have this one...

....I'll have this one instead :-) Got it in Murrays up Grafton St. way, back in '85. Bliss...

After Halloween

Red and gold, and halloween have passed us by,
The charcoal branches lean against the rosy sky,
You are so far away, yet I could touch you if I
may,
But don’t you worry now, I’m only dreaming
anyway.

You may be lonely, you may be just on your own.
You could be anywhere, someplace that I have
known.
But who am I and do we really live these days at
all?
And are they simply feelings we have loved and do
recall?

Oh the sea has made me cry,
But I love her, too, so maybe I love you.

For tears are only made of salt and water,
And across the waves the sound of laughter.
October it has gone and left me with a song
That I will sing to you although the moment may
be wrong.

Could it be the sea’s as real as you and i?
I often wonder why I always have to say
I’m only dreaming anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoKId5BGyOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rd_gMrmf6g
mcq

Post by mcq »

fergus wrote:Image
That's one of my favourite Tull albums, Fergus. And, lest we forget, the last with bassist Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond. Great music - the performance of the title track with, arguably, Martin Barre's greatest recorded moment was never surpassed in subsequent live perforances, the underrated epic Baker St. Muse, the beautiful Requiem and One White Duck and the classic Cold Wind to Valhalla and Black Satin Dancer - most of which they never performed live. The follow-up - Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll - was a serious disappointment after this magnificent album.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jethro Tull were a seriously good band IMHO....unique music and sound!
cybot

Post by cybot »

It's amazing how an innocent discussion about Sandy Denny led me to recommending this fabulous album with their equally fabulous and idiosyncratic singer Paula Frazer. Not only that but if I have to be honest, this is the very first time that the album sounds the way it should have sounded way back when I got it first! It was one of the few albums in my collection that never sounded good. This was down to the tremendous but ott production which my room/system could not handle. So it is to my utter amazement that it sounds fantastic now?!?
The review below really nails it on the head, even mentioning my favourite songs too :-) Do yourselves a favour: listen/watch the samples I've posted elsewhere and go out and buy yourselves a copy.

A customer's review:

Back in the mid 90's I was pretty certain about my dislike for country and western music, it probably had something to do with growing up to the docile plod of c&w booming through the wall from the neighbours, and the general notion amongst my peers that c&w was completely naff. In truth I had happily accomodated bits and pieces of music with undertones of c&w almost without realizing it for some time, but then one day I became the owner of the 4AD sampler "Facing The Wrong Way", and suddenly I was confronted with the fantastic The Well by Tarnation. I was confounded: I liked it, but I wasn't supposed to like it, it was the most blatant example of c&w to land in my record collection, and I was drawn irresistably to it. Soon after I owned Gentle Creatures, which, whilst not an instant hit, I warmed to track by track, my confusion amplified.

When Mirador came out, I was living in the Outer Hebrides and I heard Tarnation perform 3 pieces live on my tinny pocket-sized radio, the result being that I absolutely had to track down a copy of the album. Mirador, when I received my copy several weeks later, was an instant hit, and remains one of my favourite alt-country albums all these years on.

Paula Frazer sings with a peculiar, singular voice, parched and spent, or wandering aimlessly through the octaves, or sometimes urgent and focused. Her words are often cryptic, and deal with the torments of love, loneliness and insanity. The music has a beautiful clarity to it, and draws together vibrant mariachi styles with alt-rock, Tom Waitsian clatter, and shades of 50s rock'n'roll to create eerie deserted landscapes for the stories to dwell in. A Place Where I Know, one of my favourites, ambles unsteadily along, charming and off-kilter. Your Thoughts And Mine, another highlight, and a great choice for the album's single, moves majestically, brimming with drama, I am reminded of Love's Alone Again Or, but this piece has more depth and richness. Christine is a spooky slow-motion piece with a gothic quality, ghostly lap-steel presides, half-hearted percussion moves along uneasily and distant strings skreek and pine in the background, whilst the tale is an odd one about a glowing doll that drives poor Christine mad. In stark contrast the graceful Destiny sounds like a classic, tragic love-song, popular along the US-Mexico border regions, that everyone knows by heart from frequent plays on the radio... and yet it isn't, unless it belongs in some parallel universe.

We move through ghost-towns in the desert and dying communities stranded in the 1950's and suspicious of the outside world, with their half-derelict main streets, peeling paint and tumbleweed. Whilst I've never travelled in those regions of the southern US and Mexico, I did live in a comparable backwater in the Canadian prairies and the first-hand experience of that as an outsider resonates with the bleakness of this album in an unsettling but compelling way, still Mirador and I have deeper roots and it is also entwined with many happy memories.

New Country and much of mainstream country and cowboy poetry and all that still makes me nauseous, but a fair bit of alternative country on the other hand appeals to me now, and I can thank Tarnation as the catalyst that got me really looking closer at Americana and confronting some self-imposed restraints. I recommend Mirador wholeheartedly, in particular to fans of Calexico, Sixteen Horsepower and Woven Hand.