Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by Fran »

We cool. Its just that theres a lot of very heavy handed stuff going on right now about peer sharing etc. The UK is much worse, although Ireland has been used as a test site for forcing change through ISPs legally. So forgive the cautiousness here!!

All of those mentioned above are legal indeed - they are similar enough to tidal, soundcloud etc. I have a subscription to Tidal myself and rate it quite highly tbh. Its well worth the 20 quid a month, and has led me on manys the late evening ramble through stuff I would never have otherwise heard.

and now back to our usual programming.....

Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks for clearing that up Fran......

I already knew the sites were legal but it's hard to get a word in edgeways sometimes.

Now about these sites: is it true you can take out a subscription for a while, and then opt out at any time? What about the downloads? Are they free or do you have to buy them individually? I'm not really interested in streaming only buying the hard to get stuff or at least not available on the 7 digital site I sometimes use. For example the new King Crimson live set.....I've been told that even Spotify don't have the King Crimson stuff either or even Rick Astley ;)
markof

Post by markof »

cybot wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:26 am Thanks for clearing that up Fran......

I already knew the sites were legal but it's hard to get a word in edgeways sometimes.

Now about these sites: is it true you can take out a subscription for a while, and then opt out at any time? What about the downloads? Are they free or do you have to buy them individually? I'm not really interested in streaming only buying the hard to get stuff or at least not available on the 7 digital site I sometimes use. For example the new King Crimson live set.....I've been told that even Spotify don't have the King Crimson stuff either or even Rick Astley ;)
You don’t have to subscribe to Qobuz to buy a download. Think of it as a record store that also has a lending service on the side (aside; Anyone else remember a gramophone library in Duke street in the 70’s).
In fact you have a greater choice of downloads over streaming.

My subscription level is for “cd quality” streaming and downloads. Subscription downloads (which sound better on my system) work as long as the subscription is active and don’t require a continuous internet connection, while purchased downloads are yours to play and keep subscription or not.

You can subscribe by the month and they may have a free trial period too.
Also many albums have booklets in pdf form to read on computer or tablet.
They have players for computers and portable devices - iPhones etc.
Also some digital hi-fi units, streamers and network players, such as Auralic gear, also have built in players.

Pluses include access to vast library 24/7 with good sound. It’s great to read a review or recommendation and have immediate access to the album. The possibility of better than cd quality (hi-res) download is available if that rocks your boat.
Negatives include:
Reasonable speed broadband is a must, especially for uninterrupted streaming.
Not everything is available for streaming as licensing is a very tricky issue, e.g. only a small amount of king crimson available for streaming, no ECM label stuff for streaming.
Also the charm of playing an LP, the analog sound and having a tangible object in your hands, is entirely missing.

It’s convenience and quantity over unique experience and can lead to a very short attention span. Discipline is required.

You’re welcome to drop by for a run through although I am a bit out of the way.
Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Post by cybot »

markof wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:38 am
cybot wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:26 am Thanks for clearing that up Fran......

You don’t have to subscribe to Qobuz to buy a download. Think of it as a record store that also has a lending service on the side (aside; Anyone else remember a gramophone library in Duke street in the 70’s).
In fact you have a greater choice of downloads over streaming.

My subscription level is for “cd quality” streaming and downloads. Subscription downloads (which sound better on my system) work as long as the subscription is active and don’t require a continuous internet connection, while purchased downloads are yours to play and keep subscription or not.

You can subscribe by the month and they may have a free trial period too.
Also many albums have booklets in pdf form to read on computer or tablet.
They have players for computers and portable devices - iPhones etc.
Also some digital hi-fi units, streamers and network players, such as Auralic gear, also have built in players.

Pluses include access to vast library 24/7 with good sound. It’s great to read a review or recommendation and have immediate access to the album. The possibility of better than cd quality (hi-res) download is available if that rocks your boat.
Negatives include:
Reasonable speed broadband is a must, especially for uninterrupted streaming.
Not everything is available for streaming as licensing is a very tricky issue, e.g. only a small amount of king crimson available for streaming, no ECM label stuff for streaming.
Also the charm of playing an LP, the analog sound and having a tangible object in your hands, is entirely missing.

It’s convenience and quantity over unique experience and can lead to a very short attention span. Discipline is required.

You’re welcome to drop by for a run through although I am a bit out of the way.
Mark
Wow thanks a million for that Mark! A brilliant summing up of the pros and cons. Thanks for the offer of 'dropping by'. I love the last bit you mentioned re: attention span. I too experience that when I listen to my Fiio player; Even though it sounds really, really good I just don't have the same 'sit-down-and-listen' desire as I do with vinyl but I'm slowly getting there.

I remember that lending library! I never rented anything out but I did buy some stuff. I'm still amazed at how good one Lp I did buy sounds. I'd say it was rented out quite a lot yet it sounds fantastic.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Been listening to this over the last few days and it reminded(again) me how good a songwriter E is. No fancy solos here but good honest songwriting...imho anyway:-)
Worth checking out, CD only as far as I know though.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I've been listening to this album a lot lately... The Rides - Pierced Arrow.

Stephen Stills, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Barry Goldberg (Electric Flag, Steve Miller Band).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcDA_ZtxJj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCrbyR_ ... ShUgJWM5nd
mcq

Post by mcq »

I've been listening to a lot of live Dead over the last month or so and it all began with the purchase of the much-heralded Cornell University show (May 8th, 1977).  This really was a perfect night for the Dead where all the stars aligned and produced something very special.  Phil Lesh is on especially inspired form and he is aided here by a remarkably clear sound mix which highlights just how integral his contributions were to the band.  Highlights include a truly great Estimated Prophet, a wondrous St. Stephen that rivals the classic rendition on Live/Dead and a gorgeous, tender Morning Dew which takes my breath away.   Very highly recommended, even for the most casual Dead fans who have no interest in collecting every live release.

I also picked up Veneta, Oregon (August 27th, 1972), Red Rocks (8th July, 1978) and Nassau Coliseum (March 29th, 1990).  All are superb but the Nassau Coliseum concert showcases beautifully the particularly rich vein of form the Dead were in during the 1989/90 tour.  I have happy memories of buying Without A Net (a superb compilation of performances from this tour) upon release in 1990 and playing Eyes of the World (with special guest Branford Marsalis) over and over again.  That very same performance takes pride of place on this special recording, with the band sounding vibrant and joyous throughout. 

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Plenty of info to chew on there! Wasn't aware the Cornell 5/8/77 show was finally released. Your mini review has definitely whetted my appetite despite the high price charged for the vinyl edition and the absence of Dark Star.

What do you think of the Veneta set? Much lauded at the time of its release but I don't know.....Though it's great to have a beautifully relaxed performance of Dark Star; Much slower (and longer!) than the frantic version on the From The Vault series.

The other two I'm not familiar with so I'll just concentrate on the Cornell set for now :)

Thanks for that Paul!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Garcia's guitar has never sounded this liquid. Not a perfect recording but good enough for me.....

mcq

Post by mcq »

cybot wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:24 pm Plenty of info to chew on there! Wasn't aware the Cornell 5/8/77 show was finally released. Your mini review has definitely whetted my appetite despite the high price charged for the vinyl edition and the absence of Dark Star.

What do you think of the Veneta set? Much lauded at the time of its release but I don't know.....Though it's great to have a beautifully relaxed performance of Dark Star; Much slower (and longer!) than the frantic version on the From The Vault series.

The other two I'm not familiar with so I'll just concentrate on the Cornell set for now :)

Thanks for that Paul!

Veneta's a great show, Dermot, and fully deserving of its mythical reputation.  Just like Cornell, there is a beautiful flow to the entire concert from the more straightahead songs in the first set to the more extended jams in the second and third sets.  I might feel differently, however, if I had bought most or all of the individual Europe '72 shows as they were released but I had  been very happy with the Europe '72 Vols. 1 and 2 sets until recently when I picked up Cornell.  I enjoyed that so much that, when I was looking for my next Dead fix I just had to go for Veneta which enjoys a similarly hallowed reputation amongst the faithful.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.