It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

nige2000

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by nige2000 »

a bit rough and ready but she sings
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Derek

Post by Derek »

Nice, can't wait...
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

She's singing very sweetly in my mancave as I type and sounding bloody great.

Will get at this week and work out routing of wiring for LEDs etc. will post some pics as I go.
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Had a funny feeling leaving it behind, weird
sure am glad it got back ok and is working away
it should open out with a few hours burn in
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:04 am Had a funny feeling leaving it behind, weird
It's always difficult to leave your baby in someone else's hands :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:06 am
nige2000 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:04 am Had a funny feeling leaving it behind, weird
yea something like that, it was only turned on saturday for first time so only a few hours on it,
this ones got the charcroft smd "audio grade" z-foil resistors in the feedback and gain setting
and on the amp PCBs Fryderyk custom designed for us
so im kinda missing out on hearing how that develops during the burn in phase

This is really the first "production type" prototype
so this one should more or less sound the same as the finished product the guys will be taking home when we're done
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

nige2000 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:43 am
yea something like that, it was only turned on saturday for first time so only a few hours on it,
this ones got the charcroft smd "audio grade" z-foil resistors in the feedback and gain setting

so this one should more or less sound the same as the finished product the guys will be taking home when we're done
Ye'll have to prise it out of my hands!!! Its only sounding feckin lovely here tonight.Very open and dynamic, liquid, effortless sound with not even a touch of harshness and oh my jaysus the bass is beautiful. Definitely needs 30 mins on and then it just sings. Amp doesn't hardly get warm - you put your hands on the amp chips and they are just barely detectable as warm. Likewise the charging circuits. Speaks volumes about the build design so far and bodes very well for longevity.

I had an hour here this evening so went at the standby/power on switch and LEDs. Works perfectly and will be easy to implement. Short vid below to whet the appetites. back in here here blasting out Jason Isbell after getting a dose of it yesterday in Gerrys (Ivor, your responsible for that).

nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:13 pm
nige2000 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:43 am

Ye'll have to prise it out of my hands!!! Its only sounding feckin lovely here tonight.Very open and dynamic, liquid, effortless sound with not even a touch of harshness and oh my jaysus the bass is beautiful. Definitely needs 30 mins on and then it just sings. Amp doesn't hardly get warm - you put your hands on the amp chips and they are just barely detectable as warm. Likewise the charging circuits. Speaks volumes about the build design so far and bodes very well for longevity.

I had an hour here this evening so went at the standby/power on switch and LEDs. Works perfectly and will be easy to implement. Short vid below to whet the appetites. back in here here blasting out Jason Isbell after getting a dose of it yesterday in Gerrys (Ivor, your responsible for that).

yes any version i had of this amp benefits from a warm up of 30 mins +
I have red, dark blue and white/clear "lighthouse" leds, if there is a prototype front panel before we meet next
ill send you them in the post for visual testing
there is speaker output relays to be put in yet for power on and off pops, but that ends up not to cause much concern in this last revision

interested to see how the voltmeters work out, should be a similar function to the blue led
could probably fit them beside the standby/on switch for initial testing
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Rigged up the input through the selector switch this evening just to prove the point of the LEDs on the source selector poles. All worked well. I reckon a 470R resistor is all thats needed for all resistors - and I have a big bag of them here.

Have yet to try the voltmeter -and other things like source direct rather than through my preamp (which I did for handiness).
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I've a bunch of 470r here too

Source direct should be the most resolving having only signal buffer and minimal circuitry

The way I think the voltmeters will work is
Voltmeter will turn on along with standby charging mode with manual double pole single throw switch on back panel for always off

Voltmeter positive battery pack

Voltmeter gnd to Batt terminal 0v gnd voltmeter sense to battery terminal 35v
voltmeter power in to either first second or third psu supply on positive side pre diode depending on how bright display needs to be

Voltmeter negative battery pack
Using a virtual gnd
Voltmeter gnd to Battery terminal -35v
Voltmeter sense to battery terminal 0v gnd
Voltmeter power in from first second or third psu Pre diode from most negative psu again depending on brightness required