Quadral Chromium Style 8

Cyndale

Re: Quadral Chromium Style 8

Post by Cyndale »

Thanks again for all the info on the Quadrals, just confirms that my choice was correct!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:41 pm Thanks again for all the info on the Quadrals, just confirms that my choice was correct!
If it sounds right to your ears then it is right. Enjoy!
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I found that Hi-Fi World review of the Quadral Platinum M50 loudspeakers, very impressive indeed and I also came across a Hi-Fi World review of the Castle Avon loudspeakers. In real terms what would the Castle Howard S2s cost today compared to the Quadral Chromium Style 8s?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 2:49 pm I found that Hi-Fi World review of the Quadral Platinum M50 loudspeakers, very impressive indeed and I also came across a Hi-Fi World review of the Castle Avon loudspeakers. In real terms what would the Castle Howard S2s cost today compared to the Quadral Chromium Style 8s?
Good on you. Have you got the link as I've love to reacquaint myself with the review. I believe they're 1000 euro dearer. I read that Castle Avon review too. Noel contacted me to tell me he had a pair in stock. I had to tell him that the review didn't exactly fill me with confidence even though they got a five globe rating so I passed on them.

That's exactly what Noel said re: price difference between the 8's and The Howard's. I paid 1100 in old money back in '94. How would that relate to today's prices I can't say and, frankly, I don't really care as I think the 8's are a stupendous speaker for the price charged anyway! Look at it this way, if they built a speaker like that back in '94 how much would they be?

By the way I believe Ivan is visiting Quadral's base in Germany at the end of this month. I made a discreet enquiry about the M50's with a view to giving them a listen. Hopefully I'll know more when Ivan gets back. Out of curiosity more than anything :)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 11:17 pm
Cyndale wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 2:49 pm I found that Hi-Fi World review of the Quadral Platinum M50 loudspeakers, very impressive indeed and I also came across a Hi-Fi World review of the Castle Avon loudspeakers. In real terms what would the Castle Howard S2s cost today compared to the Quadral Chromium Style 8s?
Good on you. Have you got the link as I've love to reacquaint myself with the review. I believe they're 1000 euro dearer. I read that Castle Avon review too. Noel contacted me to tell me he had a pair in stock. I had to tell him that the review didn't exactly fill me with confidence even though they got a five globe rating so I passed on them.

That's exactly what Noel said re: price difference between the 8's and The Howard's. I paid 1100 in old money back in '94. How would that relate to today's prices I can't say and, frankly, I don't really care as I think the 8's are a stupendous speaker for the price charged anyway! Look at it this way, if they built a speaker like that back in '94 how much would they be?

By the way I believe Ivan is visiting Quadral's base in Germany at the end of this month. I made a discreet enquiry about the M50's with a view to giving them a listen. Hopefully I'll know more when Ivan gets back. Out of curiosity more than anything :)
Here's the link, you can save it to your desktop, the quality isn't great, but it is legible....

http://www.floydcom.sk/uploads/media/PL ... _World.pdf

PS: I haven't 'bloody well' had much chance to listen to my 'new prize' over the last couple of days organising stuff for a wedding, hopefully tomorrow I will be able to have the house to myself and will blow the roof off.

I picked up Cat Stevens last LP in Head Records Liffey Valley for €6, here's the title track from it, the sound is very impressive, even on a computer....TURN THE VOLUME UP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_XLt2iDEGQ
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 11:40 pm
cybot wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 11:17 pm

Here's the link, you can save it to your desktop, the quality isn't great, but it is legible....

http://www.floydcom.sk/uploads/media/PL ... _World.pdf

PS: I haven't 'bloody well' had much chance to listen to my 'new prize' over the last couple of days organising stuff for a wedding, hopefully tomorrow I will be able to have the house to myself and will blow the roof off.

I picked up Cat Stevens last LP in Head Records Liffey Valley for €6, here's the title track from it, the sound is very impressive, even on a computer....TURN THE VOLUME UP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_XLt2iDEGQ

Brilliant! Thanks for the review. It certainly brings back memories.

Sounds like you're going to have a ball tomorrow! Don't forget Roy Buchanan's 2nd. Filthy Teddy and After Hours should bring the roof down ;)

Cat Stevens sounds fantastic though I've never been a fan. I do remember him doing a strange little ditty on TOTP called Lady D'arbanville. That was a long time ago!

Talking about weddings, was up in Carlingford yesterday afternoon. My little wife went looking for something to supplement her outfit for my niece's wedding in a couple of weeks. No way I was trooping around with her! Found an antique place that sold records :) Came across a mint condition Hour Glass (pre Allman's) double vinyl on UA records. Something told me to ignore it. Instead I got an original Eno Lp (Here Come The Warm Jets) in a very good plus condition. I remember having it years ago and one track stood out - Baby's on Fire. Robert Fripp's solo is something else entirely. It was great hearing it again on the format it was meant to be heard on.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 12:46 am
Sounds like you're going to have a ball tomorrow! Don't forget Roy Buchanan's 2nd. Filthy Teddy and After Hours should bring the roof down ;)

Cat Stevens sounds fantastic though I've never been a fan. I do remember him doing a strange little ditty on TOTP called Lady D'arbanville. That was a long time ago!

Talking about weddings, was up in Carlingford yesterday afternoon. My little wife went looking for something to supplement her outfit for my niece's wedding in a couple of weeks. No way I was trooping around with her! Found an antique place that sold records :) Came across a mint condition Hour Glass (pre Allman's) double vinyl on UA records. Something told me to ignore it. Instead I got an original Eno Lp (Here Come The Warm Jets) in a very good plus condition. I remember having it years ago and one track stood out - Baby's on Fire. Robert Fripp's solo is something else entirely. It was great hearing it again on the format it was meant to be heard on.
Got my listening session in yesterday and boy was it entertaining, I dug out Roy Buchanan's Second Album and did it smoke! I hadn't listened to it in years and it was only when I played it I remembered there was a problem with it (thankfully Side 2 only), the LP looks absolutely mint but as soon as I put it on the sound was distorted (like a lot of dirt on the stylus). Filthy Teddy and After Hours sound great, my favourite would be After Hours (I love slow blues). Just curious... my copy is on the Polydor label (2391 062 SUPER), is your copy the same? I will have to keep out for another copy because of Side Two. Did you ever see the documentary on Roy Buchanan (really sad, he was his own worst enemy)! Playing it again I remember it as being quite 'hard' sounding but the Quadrals flew through it, from all the listening I have done so far they are a very musical speaker. I like equipment being analytical and detailed but 'musicality' has to win out above all others. I actually have Roy Buchanan on as I type this. Thanks for mentioning it, I have dusted it down and am really enjoying it all over again (hard to believe it was recorded in 1973, what a sound). I also have 'Dancing On The Edge' and When A Guitar Plays The Blues. There is going to be a review of the Quadral Rubin in the July issue of Hi-Fi World.

Joan Armatrading's Show Some Emotion sounds great as well, Glyn Johns knew how to record bass and drums, they are so live sounding. Audioslave's Show Me How To Live is gut-wrenching, the B&W CM7s only hinted at what it could sound like, have a listen to the YouTube link and see what I mean... when it gets to the instrumental bit have a listen to that bass (even on a computer)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXIK1xCRpY

Over and out.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Got my listening session in yesterday and boy was it entertaining, I dug out Roy Buchanan's Second Album and did it smoke! I hadn't listened to it in years and it was only when I played it I remembered there was a problem with it (thankfully Side 2 only), the LP looks absolutely mint but as soon as I put it on the sound was distorted (like a lot of dirt on the stylus). Filthy Teddy and After Hours sound great, my favourite would be After Hours (I love slow blues). Just curious... my copy is on the Polydor label (2391 062 SUPER), is your copy the same? I will have to keep out for another copy because of Side Two. Did you ever see the documentary on Roy Buchanan (really sad, he was his own worst enemy)! Playing it again I remember it as being quite 'hard' sounding but the Quadrals flew through it, from all the listening I have done so far they are a very musical speaker. I like equipment being analytical and detailed but 'musicality' has to win out above all others. I actually have Roy Buchanan on as I type this. Thanks for mentioning it, I have dusted it down and am really enjoying it all over again (hard to believe it was recorded in 1973, what a sound). I also have 'Dancing On The Edge' and When A Guitar Plays The Blues. There is going to be a review of the Quadral Rubin in the July issue of Hi-Fi World.

Joan Armatrading's Show Some Emotion sounds great as well, Glyn Johns knew how to record bass and drums, they are so live sounding. Audioslave's Show Me How To Live is gut-wrenching, the B&W CM7s only hinted at what it could sound like, have a listen to the YouTube link and see what I mean... when it gets to the instrumental bit have a listen to that bass (even on a computer)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXIK1xCRpY

Over and out.
Great stuff! As regards RB 2 my copy is actually a US copy (831 412-1). Yeah my favourite is After Hours too but Filthy Teddy really shows if it's even worth playing AH when demoing :)
Hard sounding sums it up perfectly on systems not up to it. Yours thankfully is obviously not one of those :) So my interest is really piqued now to go for a home demo of the 8's.
WAGPTB's always sounded sh#te on any system I've ever had including my current one. Where's the bloody bass?????? DOTE was his last album I think. I didn't bother with it as the one before was similar sounding to WAGPTB's. All on Sonet I think.

Incidentally his first Lp is something else too plus a live one called Livestock. Also have you ever heard Arlen Roth's Guitarist? Similarly as dry as the Sonet's above but with a much needed extra kick which sounds great on a good system. I must dig it out later to refresh my memory. He also plays a Tele :)

No I've never seen the documentary but I would love to see it. He had his fill of demons alright.

Thanks for the link. Will listen later as I have to go out.

Looking forward to the Rubin review.....

Don't tune out just yet ;)

https://www.discogs.com/Roy-Buchanan-Se ... 4090?ev=rr
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Roy Buchanan Documentary: Click on this YouTube link (Part 1) and you see Parts 2,3 and 4 on the right-hand side. Might even watch it again myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMm0UJ1gkfg
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Great review boys, delighted to hear the Chromoum Style 8's are producing the goods. I'm not surprised in the slightest to be honest, they sounded to me like a very accomplished speaker.
Let the Good Times Roll...................