Quadral Chromium Style 8

cybot

Re: Quadral Chromium Style 8

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:45 pm I have the following...
LINN LP12
WELL TEMPERED ARM
DYNAVECTOR 17D3

Two Croft Series 4 power amps
Croft Supermicro A preamp
Craft head amplifier

Never having heard ribbon tweeters before, I was blown away by them.

Musical Taste...

Rock, folk, blues, jazz, reggae from 1950s to 2017.
Ah another Croft head! Just like myself in fact. I have a room full of them :)

Yes the ribbon tweeter's are something else. What is the bass like at home? How far are out from the walls have you the speakers positioned?

I currently have a pair of Castle Howard's which use the transmission line principle to deliver the type of fulsome bass I like. No modern day speaker comes close I've found so far. That's why I didn't go for the 8's. I found the bass too clean in the demo room which surprised me as they go down to 20Hz! Hence my bass question above :) I have a feeling that I need to audition them in my own room to be sure. Previous auditions over the last while have shown me that modern speakers are voiced to impress. I've always found them to be too bright despite the bass being ok. This time (and for the first time) it's the opposite. You just can't win, can you!
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

The Crofts are not the OTLs, I wasn't impressed with them at all, in fact I thought they were horrible (from memory).

I forgot to mention I have a REL Stadium II subwoofer as well.

At the moment the bass might seem to be too powerful in a small room but not at all boomy, but the deep bass notes can punch your chest!

I haven't introduced the subwoofer into the system at all yet, I want to get very familiar with the Quadrals on their own first.

I have the speakers about 12'' from the back wall and between 2.5'-3' from the side walls. The room is quite small 10'x12' roughly so the speakers are only 4.5'-5' apart. Imaging is important but the sound of the music is as well, so there are compromises!

I hear you on modern speakers and how they can sound, but that is what impressed me about the Quadrals, they are very evenly balanced from top to bottom. Usually I try to listen to LPs that I can't get to sound right because of the treble and so far the Quadrals make them very pleasing. One example is The Thompson Twins LP Quick Step & Sidekick which has amazing bass but the treble is tizzy and very hard with the Quadral ribbon tweeters it has opened up the treble and it is not so pinched sounding.

These are only my initial impressions because I keep getting interrupted to do something or be somewhere ha!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:01 pm The Crofts are not the OTLs, I wasn't impressed with them at all, in fact I thought they were horrible (from memory).

I forgot to mention I have a REL Stadium II subwoofer as well.

At the moment the bass might seem to be too powerful in a small room but not at all boomy, but the deep bass notes can punch your chest!

I haven't introduced the subwoofer into the system at all yet, I want to get very familiar with the Quadrals on their own first.

I have the speakers about 12'' from the back wall and between 2.5'-3' from the side walls. The room is quite small 10'x12' roughly so the speakers are only 4.5'-5' apart. Imaging is important but the sound of the music is as well, so there are compromises!

I hear you on modern speakers and how they can sound, but that is what impressed me about the Quadrals, they are very evenly balanced from top to bottom. Usually I try to listen to LPs that I can't get to sound right because of the treble and so far the Quadrals make them very pleasing. One example is The Thompson Twins LP Quick Step & Sidekick which has amazing bass but the treble is tizzy and very hard with the Quadral ribbon tweeters it has opened up the treble and it is not so pinched sounding.

These are only my initial impressions because I keep getting interrupted to do something or be somewhere ha!
Thanks for that Cyndale. Will reply properly tomorrow....My room is 13'x13.5'x10' (LBH) with a bay window, wooden floors and a four foot basement below :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

So the bass in a room roughly similar to mine is substantial but, as you yourself (and the reviews) say, not boomy. My own are approx. 12" from back wall and 21" from side, slightly toed in. You're right not to introduce the Rel yet. Maybe you may not need it but then again if you're confident with the fine tuning it should enhance rather than distract.

What speakers did you have previously? Anyway enjoy your time with the Quadral's and.....lock the door ;)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 11:57 am So the bass in a room roughly similar to mine is substantial but, as you yourself (and the reviews) say, not boomy. My own are approx. 12" from back wall and 21" from side, slightly toed in. You're right not to introduce the Rel yet. Maybe you may not need it but then again if you're confident with the fine tuning it should enhance rather than distract.

What speakers did you have previously? Anyway enjoy your time with the Quadral's and.....lock the door ;)
I had B&W CM7s and I had got the REL really integrated with them. I had been using the REL between the speakers as recommended by them, but was never happy with the sound. Then I came across an article by Stirling Trayle (US distributor for REL) and I followed his suggestions, bingo it worked a treat. I intend to try and tune the REL in with the Quarrels soon to see what happens. The REL isn't all about bass, it does amazing things for midrange as well. The fact that one wall is damped with my Lp collection helps in a small room (8') high.
cybot

Re: Quadral Chromium Style 8's

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 2:38 pm
cybot wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 11:57 am So the bass in a room roughly similar to mine is substantial but, as you yourself (and the reviews) say, not boomy. My own are approx. 12" from back wall and 21" from side, slightly toed in. You're right not to introduce the Rel yet. Maybe you may not need it but then again if you're confident with the fine tuning it should enhance rather than distract.

I had B&W CM7s and I had got the REL really integrated with them. I had been using the REL between the speakers as recommended by them, but was never happy with the sound. Then I came across an article by Stirling Trayle (US distributor for REL) and I followed his suggestions, bingo it worked a treat. I intend to try and tune the REL in with the Quarrels soon to see what happens. The REL isn't all about bass, it does amazing things for midrange as well. The fact that one wall is damped with my Lp collection helps in a small room (8') high.
Never had B&W speakers or even heard them believe it or not! Long story. My own room is damped on one side too with 6 shelves of Lps plus the floor on either side of the chimney breast.

Yes I believe the Rel's actually have a holistic effect on the full spectrum of sound from the speakers....once you know how to tune them properly. Anyway don't forget to keep us informed as you go...
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

[/quote]

Never had B&W speakers or even heard them believe it or not! Long story. My own room is damped on one side too with 6 shelves of Lps plus the floor on either side of the chimney breast.

Yes I believe the Rel's actually have a holistic effect on the full spectrum of sound from the speakers....once you know how to tune them properly. Anyway don't forget to keep us informed as you go...
[/quote]

Over the years I have had... Sansui Speakers B&W DM5s, Spendor SP2s, Kef Concords, Acoustic Energy AE1s, B&WCM7 and now the Quadrals.

I would love to see a pic of your Castle Howards.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 6:20 pm

[/quote]

Over the years I have had... Sansui Speakers B&W DM5s, Spendor SP2s, Kef Concords, Acoustic Energy AE1s, B&WCM7 and now the Quadrals.

I would love to see a pic of your Castle Howards.
[/quote]

I used to have Sansui speakers and amps sometime back in the last century; My very first foray in fact into 'real' fi ;) I also had Kef Celeste's, Spendor SP2's (on demo only)

I'll do that pic for you tomorrow. They're in their 23rd year now and as far as they're concerned they're going nowhere! Bought them from the main man himself Noel C. Trying to remember what I upgraded them from, ah I remember; I had a pair of Epos 11's which I hadn't the heart to trade in......still have them in fact.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale here's the pics as promised )

Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 2:31 pm Cyndale here's the pics as promised )

Great, thanks for sharing. Really modern 'looking' speakers for their age and in brilliant condition. Are these the S3's?