Desert island discs

Rocker

Re: Desert island discs

Post by Rocker »

I think it would be better if posters suggested ONE disk, with a brief description of the music and why he/she thinks it is great.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
james

Post by james »

Glenn Gould plays Bach's Goldberg variations on piano. In my view a super performance [there are actually two different recordings in the set -- one in mono -- 1955 -- and one in stereo -- 1981].

He is controversial not least because he sings/hums along with the music !! [I actually find this CD great for judging hifi .. the better I can hear his singing/humming the better the hifi].

This is a remaster -- his two original recordings are also available.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
mcq

Post by mcq »

james wrote:Image

Glenn Gould plays Bach's Goldberg variations on piano. In my view a super performance [there are actually two different recordings in the set -- one in mono -- 1955 -- and one in stereo -- 1981].

He is controversial not least because he sings/hums along with the music !! [I actually find this CD great for judging hifi .. the better I can hear his singing/humming the better the hifi].

This is a remaster -- his two original recordings are also available.
A classic if ever there was one, James. Gould introduced me to Bach in my teens and I've always loved his approach to this great music. In my younger days, I stayed up countless nights listening to Gould play Bach and his creative insights are forever imprinted on my soul. I do prefer the 1981 version - in comparison, the 1955 version is a little rushed. I'd hate to be stranded on a desert island without some of Gould's Bach and I sometimes think I could happily live without any other music if I could have Gould's entire legacy of Bach recordings. An extraordinary musician and a fascinating man (only overshadowed in the 20th century by the very great Sviatoslav Richter).
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

You'll all be delighted to hear I bought a couple of suggestions from this thread today. Was going to buy more, but after the ECM selection the other day (yet to arrive) I should probably rein it in a little bit.

Ciaran, can we tempt you out of your hidey-hole?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:You'll all be delighted to hear I bought a couple of suggestions from this thread today. Was going to buy more, but after the ECM selection the other day (yet to arrive) I should probably rein it in a little bit.

Ciaran, can we tempt you out of your hidey-hole?
Let's see what you got when you get it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I was in Tower yesterday and picked up a few of the recommendations from this thread....... lets keep it going!
Do or do not, there is no try
Seán

Post by Seán »

Fran wrote:I was in Tower yesterday and picked up a few of the recommendations from this thread....... lets keep it going!
Fran, what did you get in Tower?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

One of the earliest Mahler cycles from my favorite Mahler conductor.

This was a very close call with the Hogwood set but I think Gardiner just shades it.

I find Dvorak's earlier symphonies a bit difficult to appreciate but from the 6th onwards, this set excels.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote: Image

I find Dvorak's earlier symphonies a bit difficult to appreciate but from the 6th onwards, this set excels.
I went for the Kertész set Dave but I have still have that Kubelik on the Wish List.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote: Image

I went for the Kertész set Dave but I have still have that Kubelik on the Wish List.
I got a copy of Kertez's performing Dvorak's 8&9th recently Fergus and it impressed me a lot. I wouldnt think that there is much between the two sets.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP