It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

nige2000

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by nige2000 »

Think it's OK for size
the cradles lid are bout 3mm from the case lid
There seems to be comfortable room each side but still might be easier to wire up psu pcbs before fixing heatsink to case
That said I don't think there will be much unused space
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

nige2000 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:07 pm Pearse, another thought
i dont think id have any trouble making 3mm thick alu struts to do this

only thing is we may need to shave 3mm off the lids or put a step in them to allow for the struts
would be steady as a rock with struts in it
a little overkill perhaps but still
Struts are a good idea Nige and I can remove 3mm off the Lids, I will look at this tomorrow.
I can even print the struts once you find the gap you want between the sets of cradles.

After listening to the Lampizator on the Nige Prototype Battery Amp yesterday which sounded great direct with no PreAmp I was listening to the Classe Amp direct again and it does have more resolution and impact like the Battery Amp had yesterday but I have a little hum in the background from the Lampizator.

Thinking back this is why i left the PreAmp in my system as it did remove that last little bit of hum from the Lampizator before it hit the Classe but at the expense of that extra detail it seems.
The Battery Amp sounded real quiet connected direct to the Lampizator yesterday so that will be a real gain for me if it helps remove that little background hum when there is no music playing.
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Could we do something to make the lids easier - I see often on gear I take apart nothing more than a sheet of plastic covering, say high voltage parts. What about just getting an A4 plastic sheet and punching holes at the ends. That way you wouldn't have to print the lids, and yet you would have decent protection if you dropped something in there.
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:07 pm
nige2000 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:07 pm Pearse, another thought
i dont think id have any trouble making 3mm thick alu struts to do this

only thing is we may need to shave 3mm off the lids or put a step in them to allow for the struts
would be steady as a rock with struts in it
a little overkill perhaps but still
Struts are a good idea Nige and I can remove 3mm off the Lids, I will look at this tomorrow.
I can even print the struts once you find the gap you want between the sets of cradles.
has to be easier to do in alu, cut to length and put two holes in it
Tony could pick up a length of either 12x3mm or 15x3mm would be more than enough
After listening to the Lampizator on the Nige Prototype Battery Amp yesterday which sounded great direct with no PreAmp I was listening to the Classe Amp direct again and it does have more resolution and impact like the Battery Amp had yesterday but I have a little hum in the background from the Lampizator.
that classe is a class b amp aint it?
curious to what the pre is doing to stop it, is it earth grounding or/and have resistor from signal to gnd
could be interesting to check if all equipment is earth grounded and see what running an external gnd between all devices does
the prototype battery amp isnt earth gnded, the project ones probably will be
but that shouldnt cause a hum
Thinking back this is why i left the PreAmp in my system as it did remove that last little bit of hum from the Lampizator before it hit the Classe but at the expense of that extra detail it seems.
the pre seemed to have a smoothing effect both to detail and dynamics on the short listen we had
The Battery Amp sounded real quiet connected direct to the Lampizator yesterday so that will be a real gain for me if it helps remove that little background hum when there is no music playing.
think it was a little cleaner, better highs and faster too
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:28 am Could we do something to make the lids easier - I see often on gear I take apart nothing more than a sheet of plastic covering, say high voltage parts. What about just getting an A4 plastic sheet and punching holes at the ends. That way you wouldn't have to print the lids, and yet you would have decent protection if you dropped something in there.
im easy,
the printing schedule seems hectic enough without printing lids
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

alu arrived after a detour
and cutting it seems to be a piece of cake on the evo rage 3 i borrowed
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

lol
pretty time consuming this took an hour to get tapped
Derek

Post by Derek »

Really neat job, I'm enjoying seeing each new phase of the project coming good.
I can help you with that if you want, next Mon, Tue or Wed maybe??
or if you're on a roll...
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

had an old mother hubbard moment tonight
i forgot i didn't order the diodes, oops....
hopefully will have em for Wednesday

thanks Derek,
i was wondering if anyone was interested in the progress pics,
i was taking them anyway and doesn't take long to post em on the fly

ill be ok building this one myself, its a bit of trial and error just to iron out most of the creases before we start into the batch fabrication
once it is at least functionally built we can meet up listen to it and discuss final design

then the work will start.....
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'll send up a sheet or two to you tomorrow Nigel and you can try it and see if it would work.

I don't mind doing some drilling - if there's a listening session to be had and you could cut some alu flat and print a few template sheets I could take some off you for doing the drilling and tapping.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try