Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Rob

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by Rob »

Paranoid is an outstanding album - doubt metal would have taken off so quickly without it. Hard to say if Sabbath Bloody Sabbath really is better IMHO.

Been listening a great deal to Iggy Pop's 'The Idiot'

analysed in depth here http://hifipig.com/some-thoughts-on-igg ... the-idiot/
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:57 am Paranoid is an outstanding album - doubt metal would have taken off so quickly without it. Hard to say if Sabbath Bloody Sabbath really is better IMHO.

For me Sabbath's first three Lps are really the ones to have. You can even hear the start of their downturn on their fourth. Never really 'got' SBS. It's ok and great to have but not essential.

Brilliant little article on Iggy. Thanks for that! Never has a man aged so much though.....
tweber

Post by tweber »

Brilliant little article on Iggy. Thanks for that! Never has a man aged so much though.
I wish I had his physique now...and he's probably got 20 yrs on me :-)
tweber

Post by tweber »

Late b'day presents...happy boy listening to these on vinyl :-)
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:40 pm Image

Late b'day presents...happy boy listening to these on vinyl :-)
Happy B'day Shane! Now there goes someone with impeccable taste :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:30 pm
Rob wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:57 am Paranoid is an outstanding album - doubt metal would have taken off so quickly without it. Hard to say if Sabbath Bloody Sabbath really is better IMHO.

For me Sabbath's first three Lps are really the ones to have. You can even hear the start of their downturn on their fourth. Never really 'got' SBS. It's ok and great to have but not essential.
Yeah you are right on that score though the fourth has some good moments like 'Tomorrow's Dream' and 'Supernaut'. Even Sabotage has a couple of quite decent songs, like 'Hole in the Sky' and ‘Symptom Of The Universe’. The follow-up, Technical Ecstacy wasn't too great IMHO.
Brilliant little article on Iggy. Thanks for that! Never has a man aged so much though.....
Cheers Cybot - written by yours truly. :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:39 pm
cybot wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Yeah you are right on that score though the fourth has some good moments like 'Tomorrow's Dream' and 'Supernaut'. Even Sabotage has a couple of quite decent songs, like 'Hole in the Sky' and ‘Symptom Of The Universe’. The follow-up, Technical Ecstacy wasn't too great IMHO.

Cheers Cybot - written by yours truly. :)

You wrote the article! Wow! Next time I'll read it more slowly ;)

I also see you've written a piece about Taste. Can't wait to read that one later!

You're right about the isolated good moments on Sabbath's subsequent albums after MOR. Even the Dio era ushered in some fantastic songs. I've always loved the live album with him. I'll say one thing though; Iommi's guitar soloing actually improved as time went on. He just got better and better......
cybot

Post by cybot »

cybot

Post by cybot »

From Golden Disc's Mary St. famous bargain bin. 3.99 in old money circa '75 A stone cold imperfect classic :) When I think of the people who used to work there! Mark Prendergast (Writer), Declan Colgan (Venture Records), Gerry Kenny with his tapes and bottomless well of knowledge......

Rob

Post by Rob »

Cheers, Cybot - hope you find them interesting.

Have a good Paddy's weekend.