What are you listening to?

Ciaran

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:
Ciaran wrote:The sound quality of the MP3? More than acceptable through my system, rather to my surprise!
There is no audible difference between high bit rate mp3 and CD. ;-)
This one doesn't actually reach the magical 320 kb/s, I think it's 178. OTOH it's a 1960s recording, not as good as a modern one, so it's hard to tell how much I might be missing. If I heard the same sound from a CD, I wouldn't think the defects were due to anything other than the age of the recording.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:This one doesn't actually reach the magical 320 kb/s, I think it's 178. OTOH it's a 1960s recording, not as good as a modern one, so it's hard to tell how much I might be missing. If I heard the same sound from a CD, I wouldn't think the defects were due to anything other than the age of the recording.
That might actually be the case alright. If data at the frequencies(that the mp3 encoding process removes) isn't there or is limited in the first place then you might not actually notice a different between a CD or mp3 version of the same source.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:Image

Mahler 7, conducted by Otto Klemperer. I was surprised that this existed, and was very curious to hear it, given Klemperer's authority in Mahler. For some reason it's never been widely available and I hunted far and wide without finding a copy. At some point, though, I downloaded an MP3 of it. I'd forgotten it until I got my new Squeezebox Touch and the software for that found it on my PC. Now I was able to stream it to my dCS Scarlatti DAC and listen -- I don't much care for listening at the PC -- and it was fascinating. It's often very slow -- I wouldn't make it a first choice -- but he finds an awful lot going on below the surface that other conductors seem to miss.
I was aware of that recording and have been on the lookout for a copy of it. Well done for managing to get it.
The sound quality of the MP3? More than acceptable through my system, rather to my surprise!
[Shocked and stunned]
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Brahms 1 – played by the NBSO/Toscanini....

The first thing that one notices about this 1951 recording, other than the mono sound, is the absolutely wonderful quality of the recording reissued here in this 1999 set; it really is very good. The playing from the NBCSO is great and the performance is energetic and full blooded with a very sensitively played slow movement. The speeds are brisk but not at break neck pace and there is a lovely flow to the music. The slow, introductory sections at the beginning of the final movement leading up to the “Beethoven” theme are particularly beautiful.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Vivaldi – 14 Concertos....

The interpretations were very good on this set if just a little on the restrained side for my taste. I preferred the Hogwood interpretations over those of Pickett. I like Vivaldi played with lots of bite! However that is not to take away from a really very good set. The recorded sound was top quality and the soloists were excellent throughout.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Telemann – Tafelmusik: 1st Production performed by Musica Antiqua Koln/Goebel....

The musicianship is exemplary and the production and recording quality is of the highest quality which manifests itself in the wonderful sound of the textures of the instruments. This is refined and sophisticated music making which has a very easy flow to it. The cantabile in the “Solo” section was a standout track.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Elgar - Piano Quintet in A minor....

This is a wonderful piece with a beautiful slow movement.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Brahms – Symphony No. 2 [Toscanini]....

Despite the boxed in sound of the mono recording the strings sound wonderful in the first movement. They play with great lyricism and drama where required. There is a nice bit of tension built up in the second movement. There is more wonderful playing in the third movement and Toscanini unleashes the orchestra with power in places in the fourth movement with the movement underlined with brisk speeds. The music is kept taught and controlled, however, culminating in a triumphant conclusion.
fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB – Cantata BWV26 for the Twenty-fourth Sunday after Trinity....