Americana and suchlike

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Bannjo

Re: Americana and suchlike

Post by Bannjo »

158166.jpg
158166.jpg (22.56 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Margo Price - Midwest Farmer's Daughter. She is being hailed as the new queen of country music and this is certainly a very assured debut ranging from the rootsy funk of 'four years of chances' to the out and out honky-tonk 'hurtin on the bottle'. A kind of loretta meets Lucinda and the sonics, on vinyl, are superb!
Bannjo

Post by Bannjo »

MH3.jpg
MH3.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
Another Black Hole — Malcolm Holcombe. This guy is the real deal! He just did a recent tour of Ireland, third time I have seen him, promoting his new album 'Another Black Hole'. He is an amazing performer singing and playing acoustic guitar with an intensity and passion that just draws you into his soul. Now in his sixties, he has certainly been around the block as reflected in his lyrics and between song monologues, which often meander off in simply hilarious and sureal stream of counsiousness. He is also one of the most sincere and lovely human beings I have ever met, absolutely no bullshit he just tells it like it is - as I say the real deal!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Bannjo wrote:
Another Black Hole — Malcolm Holcombe. This guy is the real deal!

I came across him a couple of LPs back, one called "Not Forgotten", some fantastic songs on that and as Bannjo says, "The real deal", I suspect he would have had a more successful career if he wasn't so forthright and, I beleive, difficult. (we can debate what "successful" really is another time).

A stunning voice and a great songwriter, I haven't seen him live yet but he's on my list.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

for the night thats in it.

Do or do not, there is no try
Bannjo

Post by Bannjo »

Another Black Hole — Malcolm Holcombe. This guy is the real deal! [/quote]

I came across him a couple of LPs back, one called "Not Forgotten", some fantastic songs on that and as Bannjo says, "The real deal", I suspect he would have had a more successful career if he wasn't so forthright and, I beleive, difficult. (we can debate what "successful" really is another time).

A stunning voice and a great songwriter, I haven't seen him live yet but he's on my list.[/quote]

He's definately worth checking out Ivor. Apart from his new album a good place to start is the 'The RCA Sessions' which comprises 16 cuts in a CD/DVD retrospective that includes tracks from each of his previous 10 full length albums. '...Cut as live performances in-studio, these tracks capture the spirit of Holcombe's incendiary concert performances and timeless songwriting. The RCA Sessions is not an end, but a culmination of work that spotlights the artistic mastery of one of the most unique and irreplaceable musicians working today in the contemporary folk scene...'
MH RCA.jpg
MH RCA.jpg (6.94 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
tweber

Post by tweber »

Took a chance on this at the weekend, know nothing about him but am really enjoying it. All cover versions.

"On Introducing Karl Blau, the enigmatic vocalist charts a new vision of country music. A Northwest indie hero, Blau channels darkness and hope in a cinematic collection of Nashville country hits from the 60's and 70's. Produced by Tucker Martine, the record features performances by Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Laura Veirs, Jon Hyde, Eli Moore (Lake), Steve Moore (Earth, SunnO)))), among others"
Bannjo

Post by Bannjo »

Excellent album! Was going to post myself. Contender for album of the year for me
Claus

Post by Claus »

Listened to this last night after listening to the John Convertino interview on the Steve Dawson podcast. Had forgotten how brilliant this album is. Dream album for drum connoisseurs. Listening out for the train sounds was great fun. I had forgotten how many times they appear and I thought they were added in... But they're not. Studio was located right next to the tracks!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

two new albums of covers.... two gems as well. Both lovely vinyl

Recorded in a church in Oxfordshire....

Recorded in various parts of various railroad stations... and sound it! (Hoping Claus still has my ticket for the gig!)
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford