What are you listening to?

mcq

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by mcq »

Just a word to say that one CD I'm really enjoying at the moment is Thomas Hengelbrock's versions of Bach's Cantata BWV12 (Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen), Lotti's Missa A Tre Cori, and Zelenka's Miserere (recorded with the Balthasar Neumann Ensemble and Choir and available on Deutsche Harmonia Mundi). There's a wonderfully plain-spoken quality to these performances that speaks directly to the heart. You may hear performances that are more polished but very few that will engage your senses like these. On this evidence, Zelenka's Miserere is a miniature masterpiece that is utterly involving and the Lotti missa brevis is entrancing. I really must investigate Hengelbrock's earlier recordings of Lotti as well.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Tonight I've been listening to Peter Kooij's recording of Bach's Motets with his ensemble Sette Voci (available on Ramée). (Note that Kooij does not sing on this recording - he is simply the director). These pieces are some of the creative highlights of Bach's work, a distillation of his faith combined with absolute mastery of his art. They transport me like few other pieces of music. Kooij's reading with Sette Voci has, I believe, set a new performance benchmark, transcending past masters like Jacobs and Herreweghe. It is a minimalist production, comprising two sopranos, two altos, two tenors and two basses. Musical backing consists of two organists and a single violinist. However, there is nothng minimalist about the extraordinary spiritual quality that is evoked by these transcendental performances. This is very, very special music-making. Although I haven't yet heard Suzuki's recent version which shares two of the singers from Sette Voci - alto Damien Guillon and bass Dominik Wörner - comparisons should prove to be revealing.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Intriquing posts mcq....most likely to cost me some money sometime soon!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Buxtehude – Complete Organ Works....

I have now listened to the full complement of discs in the set and my initial impression was that it was not quite what I expected; I do not know exactly what I expected – perhaps music that was more overtly melodious. However, I did not dislike what I heard; it was just different than what I expected and I quite liked a number of the works. I will now go back and listen more attentively and pay more detailed attention to what I hear in the hope that I will gain a greater appreciation of the music in this set. Incidentally, the sound and the playing I found to be fine so that for me was not an issue.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Disc 1 from this 2 disc set....

....wonderful music!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:Disc 1 from this 2 disc set....

....wonderful music!
It certainly is: if you were ever feeling lacking in drive, Coriolan or Egmont should rekindle the life-spirit... with a flamethrower!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:It certainly is: if you were ever feeling lacking in drive, Coriolan or Egmont should rekindle the life-spirit... with a flamethrower!!
My two favourites Ciaran....and well performed on this set.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Bruch/Dvorak – Violin Concertos played by Tasmin Little, RPLO/Handley....

The Dvorak Violin Concerto was a splendid work and the glorious Bruch concerto was also most enjoyable. The slow movements in both concertos were both glorious and were the stand out movements on the disc. The playing from both soloist and orchestra was of a very high standard; Little being very lyrical with ravishing playing in the aforementioned slow movements with a gorgeous tone emanating from her instrument.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

last nights listening.....

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:last nights listening.....

What did you think of that, Dave?

It did well (top modern recording??) in Rob Cowan's recent survey on "Building a Library". Rob also liked my favourite of the versions I own: Karel Šejna's early 60s Supraphon recording with the Czech Phil but it was pipped by Kubelik and the Bavarian RSO, which I would have made a hot favourite without ever having heard it!