Soekris Dam Dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rolandpsp

Re: Soekris Dam Dac

Post by rolandpsp »

Hope you can fix this one though.
rolandpsp

Post by rolandpsp »

How do you guys feel about these :

http://highend-electronics.com/products ... transducer

Also , i see everybody astounded at the UpTone Regen, any reason you aren't using one Nigel ?

Is this mod obsolete if going the battery route ? :

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/07 ... ding-vref/

Can anyone explain why you need two boards to make balanced output ? Also , can you use two boards to make dual mono AND balanced, or just dual mono ?

Would a preamp be required or you can run the raw output straight to an amp ?

I stopped myself from ordering in hopes of getting the OEM as well, any news on that ?

Roland
tony

Post by tony »

rolandpsp wrote:Also , i see everybody astounded at the UpTone Regen, any reason you aren't using one Nigel ?
Roland
He is using a Nigeclone version on battery. Using one myself not as well packaged! but much ligher on the pocket. Don't forget the Intona Roland it brings another lift
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
rolandpsp

Post by rolandpsp »

Ok so he wants 200usd for 100 units, lets offer him 8000$ for 50 and find people interested ( i am up for 2 or 3 ).

Is a Nigeclone built by nigel from scratch ? Is it improved or the exact same running on battery ?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rolandpsp wrote:How do you guys feel about these :

http://highend-electronics.com/products ... transducer
no idea
Also , i see everybody astounded at the UpTone Regen, any reason you aren't using one Nigel ?
i built one into my diyinhk to work synchronously
heres an early build

see also

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopi ... =15&t=3640
http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=110

Is this mod obsolete if going the battery route ? :

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/07 ... ding-vref/
youve clearly missed the whole point of using lifepo4?
Can anyone explain why you need two boards to make balanced output ? Also , can you use two boards to make dual mono AND balanced, or just dual mono ?
mostly to keep the return signal seperate
Would a preamp be required or you can run the raw output straight to an amp ?
if you dont need the gain there usually aint much use for preamp
I stopped myself from ordering in hopes of getting the OEM as well, any news on that ?
nope nothing except due march which had due february before that
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

BTW i have botched a fixed clock signal going into the fpga with very very promising results
i aim to either have either fully synchronous from sd card reader to dac or more like visa versa or at least have fixed clk input to fpga
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
gstew

Post by gstew »

nige2000 wrote:BTW i have botched a fixed clock signal going into the fpga with very very promising results
i aim to either have either fully synchronous from sd card reader to dac or more like visa versa or at least have fixed clk input to fpga
gstew wrote:Synchronization is an interesting thought... feed the clock signal from your USB->I2S card directly into the clock output point of the Si clock chip? Worth a try. The main question is what the FPGA chip will do if it tries to send clock frequency adjustment signals and that doesn't happen. If it gets to the point that it glitches, it could make ugly noises on the output. OTOH, it should never get there.

If your card does not use 22/24 Mhz clocks, you'd have to divide or multiply.

And of course this only works if the clock select function is working, which you'd also have to feed to the DAM from your USB->I2S card. I've seen one post that suggests it is, but never any confirmation of that from Soren.

The other time it might produce ugly outputs is when switching from one clock frequency to the other. Does your USB->I2S also produce a mute signal that you could feed to an output mute relay setup?
WOOHOO!

Nige, you are the father of invention!

Glad to hear it works, even if only in limited situations.

Pix? Description? Reports of any glitching?

Greg in Mississippi
rolandpsp

Post by rolandpsp »

heres an early build
Did you build it from scratch or used dissasembled uptone board ?
Most of it anyway. I understand is that it provides the cleanest possible current however it's unclear to me if you've completely bypassed/removed all the onboard power regulators. A detailed explanation of the entire electrical process could be very useful to my knowledge. Also, most of the clock synchronization stuff i don't understand, specifically needing clocks on every part and multiple clocks on some parts and so on, starting with the motherboard and ending with the dac and now the FPGA itself(which you say brings tremendous enhancement).
So the raw output is completely and utterly cleanest because of the battery power solution. Why aren't you trying balanced i'm sure you could squeeze more SQ.

Also, are you powering your amplifier with a battery ?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rolandpsp wrote:
heres an early build
Did you build it from scratch or used dissasembled uptone board ?
built from scratch

Most of it anyway. I understand is that it provides the cleanest possible current however it's unclear to me if you've completely bypassed/removed all the onboard power regulators. A detailed explanation of the entire electrical process could be very useful to my knowledge. Also, most of the clock synchronization stuff i don't understand, specifically needing clocks on every part and multiple clocks on some parts and so on, starting with the motherboard and ending with the dac and now the FPGA itself(which you say brings tremendous enhancement).
digital circuits creates switching noise which requires a ps with very dynamic response
the goal is to remove all on board regulation to fully expose the circuit to this fast current however voltages like 1.2v are not possible but 3-3.6v is ok
have you seen randys blog he has logged the development here http://randytsuch-audio.blogspot.ie/201 ... dding.html

clock synchronisation
i can best explain a oscillator to be like a drummer in a band it keeps the beat
and in devices like this dac/i2s combo there is two drummers
they maybe greatly talented but never seem to be able to play fully in sync
so if there was only one drummer there is more coherency

So the raw output is completely and utterly cleanest because of the battery power solution. Why aren't you trying balanced i'm sure you could squeeze more SQ.
its impossible to do everything
gimme a break
Also, are you powering your amplifier with a battery ?
im working on something that i think will be very special
rolandpsp

Post by rolandpsp »

I'm looking through randy's journal right now. Do i understand correctly : the endgame is to have just one clock in the FPGA linked to the SDtransclone, instead of two ? But when using the PC there will be only 2 drummers, instead of three ?

I'm wondering why you can't use 1.2V NiMH for the 1.2v side.