What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

JSB – Two Cantatas, BWV55 and BWV89 for the Twenty-second Sunday after Trinity....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
Did you like that, Dave? It's currently in my shopping basket, waiting to be purchased!
Like his Mahler efforts, there is not too much drama going on here with Fischer. The performance could be described as polite but still enjoyable nonetheless. I'm sure that it will reward more with further listening. To be honest though, I havent listened to Dvoraks 7th in a quite a while so I had no real reference in mind for which to judge the above against.

I have not yet listened to "The American Suite", a transcription of a set of piano pieces which is a bonus on this disc.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

My first introduction to the music of Henrich Schutz.

Musikalische Exequien and Motets SWV 380, 391, 379, 324, 287, 386

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:My first introduction to the music of Henrich Schutz.

What did you think of it Dave....any comments?
fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB –Cantata BWV80 for the Feast of the Reformation....

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote: Henrich Schutz.
What did you think of it Dave....any comments?
I quite enjoyed it Fergus particulary the Motets. The music was paired down with little in the way of instrumentation but the soloists and small choir sang beautifully. There was a very spiritual feel to the Exequien IMHO.
mcq

Post by mcq »

DaveF wrote:My first introduction to the music of Henrich Schutz.

That's a wonderful performance of a great piece of music, Dave, and the couplings are very fine as well. Schütz's music warrants further investigation and the re-discovery of his work (along with Jan Dismas Zelenka's) is one of the great success stories of the past thirty years. Also check out the following magnificent performances which are never far from my CD player:

Kleine Geistliche Konzerte (Rene Jacobs w/Concerto Vocale on Harmonia Mundi)
Musikalische Exequien (Harry Christophers w/The Sixteen on Coro)
Symphoniae Sacrae III (Konrad Junghanel w/Concertino Palatino & Cantus Cölln on Harmonia Mundi)
Die sieben Worte Jesu Christ am Kreuz (Dominique Visse w/Ensemble Clément Janequin on Harmonia Mundi)
Auferstehungshistorie & Musikalische Exequien (Benoit Haller w/La Chapelle Rhénane on K617)
Opus Ultimum (Philippe Herreweghe w/Concerto Palatino & Collegium Vocale Gent on Harmonia Mundi)
Weihnachts-Historie (Rene Jacobs w/Concerto Vocale on Harmonia Mundi)

And finally, Paul Hillier's ongoing series of Schütz's works with the Ars Nova Copenhagen (on Da Capo) which is setting new standards in this repertoire:

Die sieben Worte Jesu Christi am Kreutz & Johannes-Passion
Weihnachts-Historie & Auferstehungshistorie
St. Luke Passion
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Thanks for that mcq. Much appreciated. Plenty of music to explore there.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Thanks for that mcq. Much appreciated. Plenty of music to explore there.
Thanks to both of you for your comments....it is always interesting and exciting to come across a composer that one has no experience of and who proves to have a lot to offer....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Handel – Recorder Sonatas....

....I am very fond of this disc as there is some wonderful music on it.