SDTrans 384?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sima66

Re: SDTrans 384?

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:actually think it was slc cf cards i seen on ebay not sd my mistake
although i think our systems would be extremely advanced if the next big thing was down to the difference of slc vs mlc

think ppa stated slc was better dont know of other sq reports?
I think that was the mlc/slc satadom
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:actually think it was slc cf cards i seen on ebay not sd my mistake
although i think our systems would be extremely advanced if the next big thing was down to the difference of slc vs mlc

think ppa stated slc was better dont know of other sq reports?
I think that was the mlc/slc satadom
that whats i was looking for the cf cards were there too
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

First, simple, modification - removed the capacitors before the regulators. There were six of them.

Getting them out of the way of the battery always does something good. More body to the sound and the tonal balance might be even better in the critical 100 to 300 Hz range where this thing simply is in another class from my computer set-up.

Frees up lots of room to place the A123s close to the board. The relay output will go directly into the board - an inch of wire at most, with the battery output into the relay at the + tab.
The remaining caps for the 3.3 v regulators will be removed when that is installed.

I had convinced myself all of the rails were 3.3 volts and now see the LPGA has a 1.2 and 2.5 volts supplies. Doubt it is worth the trouble to use batteries nor will I change out the onboard regulators so the 5 volts battery will remain for those. Will use the A123s in series instead of those blue monsters.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

whats yours like for resolution and detail?
so far mine is lacking a bit by comparison
hmmn needs more work
i might be getting some faith

what 1.2v and 2.5v regs have u got there?
you need to take some close up pics please

bass is robust here it actually causes some resonance in the room and im not blaming the player i think its right and i need to fix something else

seems to manage high and low freq extremely well
there's a bit of microphone feedback in an ac/dc live track and its about as realistic as ive heard
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

rickmcinnis wrote:First, simple, modification - removed the capacitors before the regulators. There were six of them.

Getting them out of the way of the battery always does something good. More body to the sound and the tonal balance might be even better in the critical 100 to 300 Hz range where this thing simply is in another class from my computer set-up.

Frees up lots of room to place the A123s close to the board. The relay output will go directly into the board - an inch of wire at most, with the battery output into the relay at the + tab.
The remaining caps for the 3.3 v regulators will be removed when that is installed.

I had convinced myself all of the rails were 3.3 volts and now see the LPGA has a 1.2 and 2.5 volts supplies. Doubt it is worth the trouble to use batteries nor will I change out the onboard regulators so the 5 volts battery will remain for those. Will use the A123s in series instead of those blue monsters.

I've been using manual switches for my batteries and would like to try the relay option. What's is the relay spec?
Thanks.
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

adolfo.a.aguiar,

This is what I am using:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... Q-1A4-DC12

Nothing special.

I have a question for you:
I was told by the distributor, not the designers, that turn on sequence was critical - that all rails, except for the SD card/microprocessor must be turned on all at once. The one I mentioned could be turned on first (I guess) but the rest must be simultaneous.

Have you found this to be true?

I would rather not use relays since I have a phobia about those possibly chattering contacts and would rather use switches. I only ordered the relays since I thought I had to do this. If sequence is not critical I would probably use switches.

Please let me know your experience with this.

Thanks,
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I find resolution and detail to be superior. In some frequency ranges more than others.

AS I have gone on about I think up to 500 Hz the SDTrans is vastly superior.

I detect nothing missing in the midrange. I am hearing things I had not heard before so I guess that means something. The high frequencies, as with the low, are much cleaner - much less hashiness.

The thing just keeps getting better and better.

Wish I could go ahead and battery power the clock separately NOW! And if adolfo.a.aguiar tells me turn on sequence is not critical I will do that tonight. HAve all of my battery/regulator modules ready to install And the relays were just delievered ecen though I hope I do not need to use them.

My only regret is not having purchased one of these things years ago. I think of the time I wasted screwing around with WINDOWS and computers ... not that I did not enjoy it in a very perverse way but I could have been so much further along.

Have not put any orchestral music on a card yet, listening only to pop music, but the gap is narrowing each day between phonograph and digital - for pop, it is a toss up - they are both good in different ways. I could be perfectly happy with the SDTrans and SOEKRIS for pop.

Waiting for some more disks to arrive for the orchestral records.
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

rickmcinnis wrote:adolfo.a.aguiar,

This is what I am using:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... Q-1A4-DC12

Nothing special.

I have a question for you:
I was told by the distributor, not the designers, that turn on sequence was critical - that all rails, except for the SD card/microprocessor must be turned on all at once. The one I mentioned could be turned on first (I guess) but the rest must be simultaneous.

Have you found this to be true?

I would rather not use relays since I have a phobia about those possibly chattering contacts and would rather use switches. I only ordered the relays since I thought I had to do this. If sequence is not critical I would probably use switches.

Please let me know your experience with this.

Thanks,
rickmcinnis,

Thank you for the relay link.
I'm sorry I cannot help you with the power up sequence because I am currently using switches only in my PC.
The SDTrans was held in customs.
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I am sorry to hear that.

Hoping it clears soon.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Take care,
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

why dont you use a multi pole switch ?

on the soekris the 3.3v and 1.2v have to come on more or less simultaneous