How would you build your music PC today?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sima66

Re: How would you build your music PC today?

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
tony wrote:That looks incredible Adam. Mad but incredible!
What machinery are you using for the shapes?
Will have to go over the build again but you seem to be earthing lots of sections? Is that to the mains earth?
It is probably obvious stupid question.

What is the logic with all this is it to ensure a really good earth? It is not grounding?
emi/rfi, anti vibration and resonance control :)
oh and looks at a guess
Nigel nailed! :) :)

Thanks Tony,
I had a friend "shaping" the corners of the two 2x2 aluminum bars from the face-plate.
The rest of "machinery" are a wooden saw with blade for metal, drill, grinder and a lot of twisting (for treads).
I earthed the box from the Tellus/separate ground combo.
For the PPA clock and cpu plug I made those:

I connected them to the earthed box. I had similar in my previous PC and they work. I guess that they work like the Faraday cage.....no crap in no crap out!
For the 24 pin, usb plug and sata I did similar, just a bit different!

Now I'm just playing with adding 3M pieces and more brass on the inside! :) :)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

skeptical about that usb cable length statement
but as far as two in the same case it just depends how u do it
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything depends on how you do it! I just think you would be having to use all kinds of counter-measures for the RFI, which I worry bring along their own problems.

Marcin of JPlay is the one whose name comes to mind first. He thinks long is good. He has found long lengths work well when using the ASROCK riser, also, for his USB card. Took me by surprise.

I have tried long cables and did not hear anything getting worse. I did not make an exhaustive back and forth to discover the differences. My inital inclination was to use short cables for everything but this was impossible between computer and dac, unless I wanted to run really long interconnects between DAC and amplifiers. AND that tradeoff would exist with the DAC/Computer combo box unless you wanted the computer near your amplifiers. This was before I got the JCat cable.

All things considered, I think it is a relief we can get by with one meter lengths
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
sima66

Post by sima66 »

rickmcinnis wrote:DAC in the computer box?

That one took me by surprise.

Even with battery power there is still plenty of garbage sprayed about.

Along with the fact that many people whose ears I (also) trust think long USB cables (within reason of course) can be better than short ones.

sima66, that box is extraordinary. I love tight packaging and that looks like there isn't a mm to spare.

Now that I am settled on the computer side of things I would like to move from my ungainly wooden box to something much smaller. The big box came in handy when changes were made daily. Now it is just a big ugly box.

I know my limits (all too well) and know I could never do that.

A glimpse of perfection ...
Thanks Rick, but there is still a lot of room "for kids to play"! )

I made the box much larger that needed, since is always something to ad or change. The "separation walls" can be moved.

I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
tony

Post by tony »

Problem with that Entreq box Adam is what is inside!
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.ph ... ght=Entreq
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Problem with that Entreq box Adam is what is inside!
yea looks simple
but still does not mean the implementation doesn't work
been expensive is a great deterrent for customers to not look under the hood and void the precious warranty
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:Problem with that Entreq box Adam is what is inside!
Tony, we all knew that inside is just some "mineral dirt", just didn't know exactly what. I just assumed that inside is probably some copper plate 0r bar connected to those free copper wires!
The wires are making most of the diference.
I tried 16 gauge silvered copper (the one we use on the battery PS) and 18 gauge solid silver wire and the difference is quite a big.
I'm assuming that's also the only diference between the Regular (old) Tellus and Silver Tellus. Copper wires vs silver, which bring the cost higher.

Remember when I build my separate ground system, expecting to be better than a "box filled with some minerals" and that wasn't the case!
But together they work incredible. I don't know much about those things, but when I test, I try all the combinations coming to my head and not looking for explanation!

There is a better unit, active unit with circuitry "Telos" ($5000CAD), which my friend say is way better than Tellus with Atlantis.

http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Groun ... se-Reducer

If we can find exactly what are the minerals (not guess) inside the Tellus, we can build a much better one.
One more thing that it didn't make sense with Tellus is that is very sensible with the feet change, witch, I guess, means vibrations! The better footers the better sound!
Now seeing how the box is build, just choosing a better (denser) material will be an improvement.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

How to see/change clock settings and what will be recommended settings?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:How to see/change clock settings and what will be recommended settings?
cpu/ram?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
sima66 wrote:How to see/change clock settings and what will be recommended settings?
cpu/ram?
All needed.......I didn't change anything!
I thought that clock changing is referring to mobo clock?!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

change from ppa clk to 3.3v clk?