DIY Regen Battery tweak

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: DIY Regen Battery tweak

Post by jkeny »

rickmcinnis wrote:I am really confused here.

Are Nigel and Randy making their own REGENs or does this apply to the REGEN?
Yes, it's relatively easy - I did it a while back (at the previous get-together before the last one posted about here).

A USB2412 chip + 24Mhz clock on an adapter board & a bit of soldering care is all that's need. Oh & a good 3.3V supply - guess what I use :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Thanks for the assurance.

Those two are relentless. Wish I could say the same thing about myself!
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

rickmcinnis wrote:Thanks for the assurance.

No me, I'm just trying to sort of, kind of keep up with Nigel.

I wanted to try the Regen, but can't spend the money right now, so this gives me a low budget way to try something like a regen.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

randytsuch wrote:
rickmcinnis wrote:Thanks for the assurance.

No me, I'm just trying to sort of, kind of keep up with Nigel.

I wanted to try the Regen, but can't spend the money right now, so this gives me a low budget way to try something like a regen.
there's more options building your own and at less cost, i seen jk's at the last meetup and after i heard the battery mod on the regen it was certainly on the agenda
anyway if i got a regen id only end up modding it
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

I got my little adapter pcb from china in the mail yesterday, and by coincidence also received the low temp solder paste I just ordered.

But I looking at the web for ideas to solder the qfn, and saw a good suggestion for the ground pad, which is the most challenging part of the qfn. It said to drill a small hole in the pwb, under the qfn. This will leave the pad exposed so you can get to it.

So that's what I plan to do, drill out the adapter pcb, and then I can solder directly to the ground pad. I'll probably use a small strip of copper tape.

May not end up needing the solder paste at all.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

randytsuch wrote:I got my little adapter pcb from china in the mail yesterday, and by coincidence also received the low temp solder paste I just ordered.

But I looking at the web for ideas to solder the qfn, and saw a good suggestion for the ground pad, which is the most challenging part of the qfn. It said to drill a small hole in the pwb, under the qfn. This will leave the pad exposed so you can get to it.

So that's what I plan to do, drill out the adapter pcb, and then I can solder directly to the ground pad. I'll probably use a small strip of copper tape.

May not end up needing the solder paste at all.

Randy
Yep, that's a good idea, Randy & when soldered, attach a strip of copper to it that runs the length of the adapter board. This provides a number of functions - it's a nice low impedance ground connection; it acts as a ground plane for the high frequency 480MHz USB signals on the traces on top of the board; it acts as a convenient place to connect to ground for caps & any pins that directly need grounding
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

jkeny wrote: Yep, that's a good idea, Randy & when soldered, attach a strip of copper to it that runs the length of the adapter board. This provides a number of functions - it's a nice low impedance ground connection; it acts as a ground plane for the high frequency 480MHz USB signals on the traces on top of the board; it acts as a convenient place to connect to ground for caps & any pins that directly need grounding
That's what I was thinking, make a little ground plane on the adapter card.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

started into making a usb hub to i2s device with the caps divider mod
then soon realised i didnt have any caps in cira 100pf range
ended up just popping in two 1nf to see if it would work
and it does
it is recognised by pc but i havent listened to it

what effect is the capacitance value?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

capacitance only affects the current passed - shouldn't be a problem @ 1nF
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:capacitance only affects the current passed - shouldn't be a problem @ 1nF
i thought that was it
but that only sets the maximum current
thats why i was wondering
why it would matter in comparison direct from clk powered at 1.8v