What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

I always enjoy the music of JC Bach.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven – Pastoral Symphony performed by the Northern Sinfonia of England/Hickox....

....a very fine performance.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote:Buxtehude – Complete Organ Works....

I have now listened to the first three of the six discs in this set and I am happy to report that the sound quality is fine and, although I am no expert in this matter, the playing also seems fine to me. However, so far, I must admit that I have found the music uninspiring on the first two discs. There are a number of stand-out works but so far I have been somewhat disappointed with the music itself. Disc no. 3, however, has changed that view as it contains, to my ear, a higher quality of music.
I'd be interested to hear which tracks specifically stand out to you, Fergus...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

That is a little difficult to say at the moment Simon for two reasons....firstly, I am just half way through my first listen to this music and, as I am completely ignorant of it in terms of both form and content, I am only assessing first impressions at the moment; and secondly, unlike my previous purchase of the complete JSB organ works, the Buxtehude is not listed by form but rather by festivity e.g. all of the Easter works are on one CD, the Advent works on another etc. so one is getting bits of everything thrown in together unlike the JSB collection where all of the Toccatas were together, the Preludes & Fugues were together and so on. So in my ignorance I am only at the stage where I say to myself “I like that” when I hear something that is immediately appealing. I think that I will have to work a little harder on the Buxtehude Organ Works than I needed to on the JSB ones....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Heh. Don't work too hard, you might injure yourself!

Buxtehude has a reputation for being enjoyed by organists more than audiences, hence my question. I think really good performances can bring the music alive and really dull performances just kill it completely, but I'm always interested in the first impressions of those hearing the music for the first time. It helps me decide which of the many works I should learn!

In other news, all this talk has persuaded me to buy volume 3 of Davidsson's set, so I think I'll do that tonight.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:Buxtehude has a reputation for being enjoyed by organists more than audiences, hence my question. I think really good performances can bring the music alive and really dull performances just kill it completely, but I'm always interested in the first impressions of those hearing the music for the first time. It helps me decide which of the many works I should learn!
I only have one more disc to listen to Simon and then I will give the set a second listen and then I will give my opinion on what I would pay to hear you play!!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote:[I will give my opinion on what I would pay to hear you play!!!!
That list will be short indeed!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:
fergus wrote:[I will give my opinion on what I would pay to hear you play!!!!
That list will be short indeed!
On the contrary Simon both with regard to the organ music of Buxtehude and your music making!