DIY Regen Battery tweak

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: DIY Regen Battery tweak

Post by jkeny »

Just to be clear - what Nige is showing are pics of the same chip as is used in the Regen (USB2412) mounted on a prototyping pcb along with 24MHz clock & powered by 3.3V battery - it's not pics of a DIY 5V USB injector.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sorry should have put that on the other regen thread

although there is a bit of a knack in soldering on the chip,
the rest was relatively simple,
i asked jk for a second opinion on the pinout implementation as my first attempt didn't work first time
but it was just the usual silly mistakes (pins not connected and inability to count pins )

it was built for use with lifepo4 battery thats why i posted it here
and there's no 5v pass through as my dac is self powered (+5v should never enter a dac)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

nige2000 wrote:sorry should have put that on the other regen thread

although there is a bit of a knack in soldering on the chip,
the rest was relatively simple,
i asked jk for a second opinion on the pinout implementation as my first attempt didn't work first time
but it was just the usual silly mistakes (pins not connected and inability to count pins )

it was built for use with lifepo4 battery thats why i posted it here
and there's no 5v pass through as my dac is self powered (+5v should never enter a dac)
So it looks like you put the usb hub chip on an adapter, power with a battery and add the usb connectors.

How does it sound?

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I was pretty sceptical of the regen mostly because of the ps it used and additional cabling and connections I had thought the bad would cancel out the good
How many times do you need to reclock?

It wasn't till I heard its effects at Tony's I realised there was something to it, later on that evening I got to hear a battery modded version and I was sold within about 10 seconds with resolution and clarity

I wasn't going to join a cue to get a regen then immediately take it apart and hack it
This way I got more options at lesser cost I got to choose the oscillator and the ps system
I also had some parts and that always helps
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Since I still can't get what is the "front" and what is the "rear" of Nigel project, I will be happy not to screw the simpler mod! :)

So, original Regen will powered with the JK moded 3.3v.
Now, on the USB adapter (A/B male) between the Regen and Sonicweld, I just need cut the +5v line and solder external +5v and solder the ground wire to the adapter ground line (not cut). Is that the right way to do?
Than I can tape the +5 from my USB cable between PC and Regen (on PC side).

This is the adapter what I found:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-2-0-Type-A-m ... 1927240000
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sima66 wrote:Since I still can't get what is the "front" and what is the "rear" of Nigel project, I will be happy not to screw the simpler mod! :)
Nothing on the back just USB2412 chip & 24MHz mounted on adapter pcb & pins connected according to the datasheet
Now, on the USB adapter (A/B male) between the Regen and Sonicweld, I just need cut the +5v line and solder external +5v and solder the ground wire to the adapter ground line (not cut). Is that the right way to do?

Yes, that's the way to do it!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

jkeny wrote:
sima66 wrote:Since I still can't get what is the "front" and what is the "rear" of Nigel project, I will be happy not to screw the simpler mod! :)
Nothing on the back just USB2412 chip & 24MHz mounted on adapter pcb & pins connected according to the datasheet

Thanks John,
I will order 50 adapters in the first batch and I hope that at list one will useful after my DIY! ;-)

Now, after more understanding and thinking, I should did this long time ago......before Regen!
Instead of having the 5v from my USB card and having the power running true my USB cable!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sima66 wrote: Thanks John,
I will order 50 adapters in the first batch and I hope that at list one will useful after my DIY! ;-)
Are you going into commercial production of these ? :)
Now, after more understanding and thinking, I should did this long time ago......before Regen!
Instead of having the 5v from my USB card and having the power running true my USB cable!
Yes, there are a couple of benefits in doing this:
- The "clean" 5 supply will undoubtedly bring SQ improvements (I'm sure this accounts for a proportion of the reported SQ improvements of the Regen)
- You can also investigate using a USB cable which doesn't have any 5V wire in it - this brings some further improvements, I believe - even DIY a USB cable like Nige's ?
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
jkeny wrote:

Thanks John,

what usb cable do you use?
might be easier to mod one of these
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-2-0-B-Female ... 4v-sHW2BXA

maybe a usb b female to usb b male adapter will be best
does the sonicweld need a 5v handshake?
sima66

Post by sima66 »

- You can also investigate using a USB cable which doesn't have any 5V wire in it - this brings some further improvements, I believe - even DIY a USB cable like Nige's ?
But isn't the same if I use a piece of tape on the +5 USB connector pin on the PC side, like not having that wire at all?!
The +5 will be just one extra wire with no function, right?