Soekris Dam Dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
randytsuch

Re: Soekris Dam Dac

Post by randytsuch »

My dac right now

EDIT: photo was too big and didn't post. Need to take a "smaller" photo so I can post it.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

randytsuch wrote:My dac right now

EDIT: photo was too big and didn't post. Need to take a "smaller" photo so I can post it.
I use flickr to host and use the URL link
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

Can't upload to flikr either :(

I've turned a lot of background data tasks off because otherwise I go through my data too fast, but it means I can't do some stuff like this until I get home.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

all sorted
heres Randys photo's
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

what sort of wire are you using going to the output plugs?

few components to come off yet
the 4v regulation chip will certainly have to go it causes distortion which is mostly only noticeable after a few minutes of playback

was thinking about other components that could possibly be changing the sound

the caps between the fpga and the shift registers, either bridge or replace with thin film caps/resistors?

the caps on the shift registers, probably better with film here too, with lifepo4 it is easier to do harm with caps as good, to the extent that no bypass caps could be best :()

think ill bring my build version 1 up to version 2 spec and then start a-b testing caps
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

nige2000 wrote:what sort of wire are you using going to the output plugs?

few components to come off yet
the 4v regulation chip will certainly have to go it causes distortion which is mostly only noticeable after a few minutes of playback

was thinking about other components that could possibly be changing the sound

the caps between the fpga and the shift registers, either bridge or replace with thin film caps/resistors?

the caps on the shift registers, probably better with film here too, with lifepo4 it is easier to do harm with caps as good, to the extent that no bypass caps could be best :()

think ill bring my build version 1 up to version 2 spec and then start a-b testing caps
Yeah, I still have work to do, was just trying to get battery power to the shift regs first. I'll take off the 4v opamps next, I think i heard the distortion your describing last night.

I removed some parts to try to isolate the opamp outputs, but safer to just remove at this point.

I also think I can remove the + and - 5 Volt regulators now, I don't think they do anything anymore.

And I was wondering about the caps on the shift registers, for now I just left what it came with. Lots of other stuff to still do.

Oh, the wire is gold plated silver, a long time ago I saw Thorsten recommend it, bought a few spools and have been using it for signal hookup wire when I have short runs like this.

Randy
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

Made a quick figure of how I connected my batteries and voltage reg used for charging

Ground symbol below the battery is connect to ground of the board.
Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (8.21 KiB) Viewed 668 times
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

randytsuch wrote:Made a quick figure of how I connected my batteries and voltage reg used for charging

Exact same way as i did it
Have you another lifepo4 to try on the amanero?
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

nige2000 wrote:
randytsuch wrote:Made a quick figure of how I connected my batteries and voltage reg used for charging

Exact same way as i did it
Have you another lifepo4 to try on the amanero?
Yes, I do. Another think to add to my list of stuff to do :)

I was thinking I would need a switch, but if I left the reg for it on all the time, then I don't need a switch.

But I also just got an exD USB to I2S converter (got a really good deal on a used one). I want to try that in the near future.

And I could remove it's 3.3V converter, and run it from lifepo4, and the list never ends :)
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

this is the r2 board apparently
blue resistors? must be he more significant ones
few other bits and pieces