Re: What are you listening two?

Post by DonKC »

Seán wrote:Image

Franz Joseph Haydn
Symphony No 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
Symphony No 6, 7 & 8

Philharmonia Hungarica
Antal Dorati conducting.

Have always had a soft spot for this set. My intro to the early and middle Haydn symphonies back in the 70's/80's. Still fresh today.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:
Seán wrote:Image

Franz Joseph Haydn
Symphony No 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
Symphony No 6, 7 & 8

Philharmonia Hungarica
Antal Dorati conducting.

Have always had a soft spot for this set. My intro to the early and middle Haydn symphonies back in the 70's/80's. Still fresh today.
I love it Don. I haven't listened to these recording for a while so I was wondering what I'd make of them having listened to performances on period instruments for quite some time. The orchestral ensemble and section playing by the Philharmonia is gorgeous on these symphonies, the woodwind playing in the Fifth in particular is special. I know that the entire orchestra is not playing on period instruments but that does not detract from the beauty of the performances.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Joseph Haydn
Symphony No 9, 10, 11 & 12

Philharmonia Hungarica
Antal Dorati conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Joseph Haydn
Symphony No 13, 14, 15 & 16

Philharmonia Hungarica
Antal Dorati conducting.
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Joseph Haydn
Symphony No 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21

Philharmonia Hungarica
Antal Dorati conducting.
Seán

Post by Seán »

And on we go:

Franz Joseph Haydn
Symphony No 22, 23, 24 & 25

Philharmonia Hungarica
Antal Dorati conducting.
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

John Kinsella Symphony # 3 and # 4
O Duinn National SO of Ireland

Marco Polo

I enjoy these two wonderful, almost Sibelian works.

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Glorious needless to say, there hasn´t been a recording of this masterpiece since Malgoire´s 1975 version for CBS, never released on CD by the way, but this new Ricercar recording is in a different league.
Les Agrémens are a model of refinement and elegance, and Guy van Waas should be considered Frans Brüggen´s heir, he is THAT good.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

This 2010 live recording from Vienna is a most welcome addition to the Meyerbeer discography. Emma di Resburgo was Meyerbeer´s third opera composed for an Italian theatre, the San Benedetto in Venice in 1819. It was an immediate success there and the next year reached Dresden where Carl Maria von Weber conducted it. This recording is very enjoyable, with an excellent period orchestra and the 2 divas in great shape. This was first released in a private label for a Meyerbeer society, now fortunately is available in Amazon.de