What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:Our local orchestra performed the rarely heard yet absolutely wonderful Capriccio sinfonico by Giacomo Puccini. An early work, it is a concise 15 minute, 3 section gem full of drama and incredible melody. Think of Tosca distilled to 15 minutes.

So I dug out this great album of rarely heard Puccini orchestral music, recorded in the 80's and available in many iterations since then. The sound is quite good, Chailly does not enter into a debate whether this is "good Puccini" or not (some of the works including the Capriccio and the earlier and equally charming Preludio sinfonico were from his student days in the Milan Conservatory,) he and the RSO Berlin treat it as if it was gold from the pen of a mature master.

Wonderful.
That's a powerful recommendation indeed.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Brahms Clarinet Quintet....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
markof

Post by markof »

A tremendous album of Orthodox choral music from Valentin Silvestrov.
Heart aching melodies to die for.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

A perfect follow-up with this gem.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Claus

Post by Claus »

Thought my speakers were toast when that violino in tromba started!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Claus wrote:Image
I have not seen that recording by Beyer before.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
markof

Post by markof »

Claus wrote:Image
I have it on the list - any thoughts?

Mark
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, Martinon/ORTF 1973.The only disappointment so far in the Martinon Erato and HMV recordings set. A bit underpowered overall and the ball scene just did not swirl and dance. Ok, but nothing special.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Very enjoyable symphonies from this Swiss Composer. The violin concerto admirably played by Leila Schayegh is another plus. These symphonies are different from those recorded by La Stagione in CPO.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gosh it's gone very quiet in this part of the forum lately, what a pity!

Anyway, as I made my home from work this evening I thought it might be a good idea to listen to some Schubert when I get home; funny how the mind wanders when one is walking along. I was right too, this is wonderful:

Franz Schubert
String Quintet in C major

Vera Beths - violin, Lisa Rautenberg - violin,
Steve Dann - viola,
Kenneth Slowlk - cello, Anner Blysma - cello

I have to hand it to Schubert he wrote stunningly beautiful, spine tingling adagios. This is a magnificent performance of the Quintet.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler