SOLD! Quad ESL 989s

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
DaveF

SOLD! Quad ESL 989s

Post by DaveF »

I didn't think I'd ever be putting these fine speakers up for sale but do to an unexpected, and delighted I have to say, permanent move in the next 2 months or so, I can no long accommodate them due to two reasons:
1. They'll be too big for the new place and 2. I've been categorically told that they wont be even allowed near the front door.

So instead a pair of very high quality compact(ish) speakers will be sought in the coming months. Something along the lines of the Kharmas or Sonus Faber Guarneri's etc.

As most of you already know I bought these from an esteemed forum member last year so they've been well looked after and cherished. No boxes.

SOLD!
Last edited by DaveF on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Adrian

Re: Interest Check: Quad ESL 989s

Post by Adrian »

Congratulations on the new lifestyle change...... I wish you all the best!!

Yes good idea not to break her heart too early with the 989's!! Stand mounts of which there are many offer a great way to still have very good hi fi sound. If I may I would still recommend a listen to the Russell K 100's... very good for their size, giving a very crystal clear clarity to the sound.... like looking into a very clear mountain stream... and you can see the entire detail of the bed of the steam.... with all the pebbles, stones etc.

As for SF Guarneris.... I have unfortunately not heard them in the flesh.. I believe they are very sought after even if they are a bit long in the tooth.

Other stand mounts which I have contemplated would be ProAc Response D2, or even the Response D30R.... given the fact that stand mounts are on a stand.... they would still be of approximate dimensions to a floorstander.

Perhaps other forum members who are using stand mounts could offer an opinion?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
halvis

Post by halvis »

Hi Dave,

They might not be quite what you are looking for, but I have a pair of ATC 20SL stand mounts which I maybe interested in trading against your Quads. I nearly went with Quads the last time I changed but couldn't find any in Ireland at the time I was looking. Anyway, the ATC's are not exactly along the lines of Sonus Faber (quite the opposite), but are of high quality and compact. The drivers are especially good and the 20SL model being the classic line has a fantastic build quality, the cabinet is quite something.

Let me know if interested and I can send you some pics. They are in excellent condition and less than 4 years old. Black with black 60cm Atacama stands.

I have a nice big amp to power them as well if required.

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/ ... ies/scm20/

cheers,

Jon
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Price added above. 1300 Euro ono.
Pics and demos can be arranged.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
panda2rom

Post by panda2rom »

If the lady accepts stand mount, she could as well accepts tower loudspeaker.

I'd definitly show her the beolab 18 :)

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/sound/lo ... /beolab-18
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

So so tempting, but I already have a pair of 63's and my missus hates them. I wheel them out when she's not at home. Still my backups the spendor sp2/2 are still a good listen
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

halvis wrote:Hi Dave,

They might not be quite what you are looking for, but I have a pair of ATC 20SL stand mounts which I maybe interested in trading against your Quads. I nearly went with Quads the last time I changed but couldn't find any in Ireland at the time I was looking. Anyway, the ATC's are not exactly along the lines of Sonus Faber (quite the opposite), but are of high quality and compact. The drivers are especially good and the 20SL model being the classic line has a fantastic build quality, the cabinet is quite something.

Let me know if interested and I can send you some pics. They are in excellent condition and less than 4 years old. Black with black 60cm Atacama stands.

I have a nice big amp to power them as well if required.

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/ ... ies/scm20/

cheers,

Jon
Hi Jon,
PM sent.
gunner14b

Post by gunner14b »

I have a mint pair of Sonus Faber concertos. PM me if these are of interest

Regards

jc
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Price reduction to 950 Euro! Come on, surely someone will want to snap these up at such a giveaway price. :-)
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Dave, that's silly money for these. Goodness me. If I had another room to put them in I'd buy them just to have them!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2