Total votes: 34

nige2000

Re: HOW OLD ARE YOU?

Post by nige2000 »

Diapason wrote:
nige2000 wrote:OK its bad I had to google Louboutin
You're more a Manolo man?
maybe more of a mans man ;)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

james wrote: Great idea -- by the way a few years ago I got the TH albums on DVD-Audio [when DVD-Audio was dead and they were selling remasterred CD's with a bonus DVD-Audio disc really cheap] and I was able to extract the 24/96 audio from the DVD's

Fot the odd DB album I suggest 'My life in the bush of ghosts'

James

I was aware James and I may have them on the remastered cd's I bought but managed to acquire the 24/96 recordings and Remain In Light especially is a revelation,not sure on the others haven't compared enough. Edit went back and listened to Remain In Light it is excellent but would suggest you try the HD Tracks 24/96 version. Completely different mix that took me a while to warm to but a must have.

Try Grown Backwards I think it is very good and very good for the testing/comparing.
Nigel will be getting use to this one over the next while!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
panda2rom

Re: HOW OLD ARE YOU? revised!!! please redo poll

Post by panda2rom »

Alot of the youngster who might have went on the Hifi road, went home cinema.
And are using their HC gear to listen to music.
Wich while not being optimum can't be called shitty :)

And i totally agree with diapason, Lo-Fi do sound really much better nowadays.
I mean Altec do some great value speakers for PC, that do sound more than ok.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

panda2rom wrote:Alot of the youngster who might have went on the Hifi road, went home cinema.
And are using their HC gear to listen to music.
Wich while not being optimum can't be called shitty :)

And i totally agree with diapason, Lo-Fi do sound really much better nowadays.
I mean Altec do some great value speakers for PC, that do sound more than ok.
ive a av receiver with all the modern gadgets its sound is almost shitty :) by comparison to similar priced stereo integrated amp
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

nige2000 wrote:
ive a av receiver with all the modern gadgets its sound is almost shitty :) by comparison to similar priced stereo integrated amp
I had a pretty serious home cinema set up and it was no substitute for real hifi. People do convince themselves they have a good system, I've done it myself, but really it's kinda horrible. Movies and music are two very different aural experiences.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
panda2rom

Post by panda2rom »

"its sound is almost shitty :) by comparison to similar priced stereo integrated amp"

Now that is cheating :)
Of course an Hifi amp of the same price range will sound better ! I mean it's his job :)
Plus HC amps always have DAC build in.
And at some price point, you can't even compare anymore... because high end Hifi has no limit in price, while HC gear has :)

I always wanted to listen to HC amp Cambridge audio did (sure it's not high end) was wondering how good of a compromise of the two worlds it was...
sebna

Post by sebna »

tony wrote: The younger generation 17-30 by and large have zero interest in sound quality and I think they will carry that into and throughout adult life.
The world has just changed and video content on the phone on the go is king.
I was always into the music but much less into quality of playback. Not that I did not appreciate good quality playback it is just that I simply did not know the difference as none of my friends had a good enough hifi setup so it was just music that mattered. No matter where I heard my music it sounded more or less the same so why bother?

Still I always had above average gear but it was mostly headphones with some kind of mobile device or straight from my PC (albeit with best sound card available on the market) and then I heard Avantgardes in TLS and I was gobsmacked. The realization came of what the music can actually sound like when reproduced at home (also realized that I need speakers and that I need them fast ;)

But the changes did not stop there. When I switched from headphones to speaker system I have for example started to appreciate Jazz! which I would have never listened to before while now it makes about 30 - 40% of my daily menu... that has also a lot to do with people I met through tirna ;). Still, I believe, Jazz needs air and staging which headphones just cannot give in form that it requires to really shine.

... I almost did not go to that meeting in TLS ... I wonder if my wife would not have wished that I stayed at home that evening ;)

Cheers it has been great fun so far.
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
Audioq

Post by Audioq »

Mirrors almost exactly my story. Thought I was into hifi by having an aiwa system of some kind then heard some real high end separates in the 90s and just couldn't go back. Can't remember the exact system I heard but I think it was a well-tempered TT with a golden tube (?) pre and amp and Aerial 10ts - fabulous.

I also started on the headphone route with a SF Line preamp and some sennheiser headphones since I couldn't afford an amp and speakers at that time. High end hp are a good way of easing into things and also eliminate room effects etc.
tony

Post by tony »

sebna wrote:Still I always had above average gear but it was mostly headphones with some kind of mobile device or straight from my PC (albeit with best sound card available on the market) and then I heard Avantgardes in TLS and I was gobsmacked. The realization came of what the music can actually sound like when reproduced at home (also realized that I need speakers and that I need them fast ;)

But the changes did not stop there. When I switched from headphones to speaker system I have for example started to appreciate Jazz! which I would have never listened to before while now it makes about 30 - 40% of my daily menu... that has also a lot to do with people I met through tirna ;). Still, I believe, Jazz needs air and staging which headphones just cannot give in form that it requires to really shine.

... I almost did not go to that meeting in TLS ... I wonder if my wife would not have wished that I stayed at home that evening ;)

Cheers it has been great fun so far.
Yes going down to Ivor's to borrow some super cables he was trying to shift sent me over the edge. I reckon Anne would like to relive that day and prevent me hearing his wardrobe door speakers and strange light bulbs on top of an amp set up.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sebna

Post by sebna »

tony wrote:I reckon Anne would like to relive that day and prevent me hearing his wardrobe door speakers and strange light bulbs on top of an amp set up.
This is exactly why we should never let them meet hyhy (evil laugh). I have this strangest feeling that together they might just find the way to make it happen :D ;)
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+