What are you listening two?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Jose Echenique »

And talking about Ann Hallenberg, this fascinating recital is just out. Luigi Marchesi was probably the last of the truly great castratos, the castrato of the Napoleonic era as the cover says. What is fascinating is to hear the music composed for the castrato between Mozart and Mayr, with the larger classical orchestra rather than the baroque band. Marchesi was a vocal phenomenon with a 3 octave range, and fabulous Swedish mezzo Ann Hallenberg shoots the fireworks with amazing ease. Most of this music has never been recorded before, and it´s marvelous. Marchesi left his considerable fortune to support the hospital in the little town where he was born, and as it happens, the Marchesi Hospital still is open. Bravo Marchesi, brava Hallenberg!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

Rousset and Les Talens Lyriques will play in Guanajuato on October 23 and 25 a program of Farinelli arias with the magnificent mezzo Ann Hallenberg. Guess who has tickets?

You Lucky man Pepe; I would love to hear them live. I have liked Rousset for a long time now.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is a pleasant work which is a bit different from other works that I have of Charpentier. It is accompanied by organ only and the writing overall is somewhat restrained but certainly not without interest.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

<You Lucky man Pepe; I would love to hear them live. I have liked Rousset for a long time now.>

Me too Fergus, probably after William Christie, the finest French Baroque conductor [Yes, Christie is American by birth, but took French nationality a long time ago]. Wish you all could be there.
markof

Post by markof »

Stunning performances of modern choral pieces on this award winning reissue- quite beautiful.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

markof wrote:Image

Stunning performances of modern choral pieces on this award winning reissue- quite beautiful.

Mark
That's another new one on me Mark.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Alexander Borodin
Symphony No. 1

Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra
Gennady Rozhdestvensky conducting.

Lovely performance.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
markof

Post by markof »

A fabulous performance of the Rachmaninoff Vespers from Paul Hillier.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

Still on a choral music bender.
This time it's contemporary scandinavian from the baltic countries.
Exemplary recording and performance throughout.

Mark.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Albéric Magnard
Symphony No. 1 & 3

Malmö Symphony Orchestra
Thomas Sanderling conducting.