Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

A live one with a neat title and an inner AKG sleeve :)

Sadly another reminder of the endless run of cringeworthy vocalists he was lumbered with.....

Recorded in NYC sometime in '74.

cybot

Post by cybot »

Having my first listen to this '45 years lying in the vault' live one. I'm more than happy with the sonics/performance; in fact I'm ecstatic :)

Somebody mentioned out of tune stuff going on here and there which frankly is not surprising considering Jimi's high voltage butchery of his poor guitar and, of course, the very high temperatures of that 4th July day.....

Amazon comments about Jimi's Freedom Atlanta gig.....

"........The concert is complete except for 'Hey Baby' in which Jimi's guitar was so out of tune due to excessive heat that evening that he finished the song and the set abruptly and left the stage."

"........perhaps the real essence of Hendrix is most perfectly distilled into the 9-minute plus supercharged version of "Hear My Train Comin" so good that when it finishes the needle swings back to the beginning of the track."

Rob

Post by Rob »

Hawkwind - Quark, Strangeness and Charm, from 1977. Not outstanding throughout but very good for the most part.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rory Gallagher - Photo-finish. Great album that seems overlooked. Cloak and Dagger and Shadow Play are true hard rock classics!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote:Image

Rory Gallagher - Photo-finish. Great album that seems overlooked. Cloak and Dagger and Shadow Play are true hard rock classics!
One I've missed out on too. The only thing I have from that album is a 10" eps featuring Shadow Play,Brute Force & Ignorance plus Moonchild & Souped Up Ford. Thanks for the tip...
Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: One I've missed out on too. The only thing I have from that album is a 10" eps featuring Shadow Play,Brute Force & Ignorance plus Moonchild & Souped Up Ford. Thanks for the tip...
Hi Cybot,

You're welcome - I imagine your EP must be rare by now! The rest of the album is decent too but besides 'Shadow Play', and 'Cloak and Dagger', I feel the other stand out tracks are 'Shin Kicker' and 'The Mississippi Sheiks'. 'Fuel to the Fire' is a more personal track that has some of his more expressive guitar playing. Reputedly he ditched his mid 70s sound for a harder rock style after hearing punk rock.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote:
cybot wrote: One I've missed out on too. The only thing I have from that album is a 10" eps featuring Shadow Play,Brute Force & Ignorance plus Moonchild & Souped Up Ford. Thanks for the tip...
Hi Cybot,

You're welcome - I imagine your EP must be rare by now! The rest of the album is decent too but besides 'Shadow Play', and 'Cloak and Dagger', I feel the other stand out tracks are 'Shin Kicker' and 'The Mississippi Sheiks'. 'Fuel to the Fire' is a more personal track that has some of his more expressive guitar playing. Reputedly he ditched his mid 70s sound for a harder rock style after hearing punk rock.
Hello Rob,

It probably is :)

Now I remember why I didn't bother with the album! I felt the hard rock sound didn't suit Rory but that was then and this is now. I'll take anything by him now :)

Hope you've checked out the 'new' Taste IOW both on vinyl and dvd. Still waiting on my vinyl copy but the dvd is brilliant so far.....Imagine it all happened all of 45 years ago?????
Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote:
Rob wrote:
Hi Cybot,

Hello Rob,

Now I remember why I didn't bother with the album! I felt the hard rock sound didn't suit Rory but that was then and this is now. I'll take anything by him now :)

Hope you've checked out the 'new' Taste IOW both on vinyl and dvd. Still waiting on my vinyl copy but the dvd is brilliant so far.....Imagine it all happened all of 45 years ago?????
Wow I must look up the Isle Of Wight reissue - thanks for the tip. Taste's back catalogue wasn't given much star treatment but sounds like that is changing now!

I know what you mean about the hard rock sound not suiting Gallagher - I have mixed views on his Stage Struck album. Having said that, the quality of the tracks on Photo-Finish are high, and IMO a heavier treatment works well. It has a lot more energy than its predecessor, the excellent album 'Calling Card'. He actually recorded half of Photo-Finish's tracks for a prior album that he ditched in 1977 - it was released as 'Notes From San Francisco' a few years ago - comes across as a bit of a lost classic.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote:
cybot wrote:
Hello Rob,

Wow I must look up the Isle Of Wight reissue - thanks for the tip. Taste's back catalogue wasn't given much star treatment but sounds like that is changing now!

I know what you mean about the hard rock sound not suiting Gallagher - I have mixed views on his Stage Struck album. Having said that, the quality of the tracks on Photo-Finish are high, and IMO a heavier treatment works well. It has a lot more energy than its predecessor, the excellent album 'Calling Card'. He actually recorded half of Photo-Finish's tracks for a prior album that he ditched in 1977 - it was released as 'Notes From San Francisco' a few years ago - comes across as a bit of a lost classic.
Enjoying this :)

Stage Struck, believe it or not, was another album I passed on because I instinctively felt it wasn't up to much. Calling Card for some weird reason I swapped for something else! The shame!!!!! Anyway it's on my 'buy back' list :)

'Notes From San Francisco' I hate! I simply cannot get into the studio or live album and I've tried! Maybe some day.....

Now here's some stuff you should DEFINITELY hear :

The first one is an 10" ep selection from the Irish Tour cd box set and is only terrific with much better sonics than the live album and understandably so.....But it's ridiculously priced at €19.99!!!
Worth it though :)

The second one has been available stuck onto a DVD about Rory's life and is only amazing if you can put up with the slightly bass (read: '70's) heavy sonics. And......it's on double blue vinyl :)

Talking about the hard rock sound of Photo Finish recalls his first album for Chrysalis Against The Grain which sees a totally revitalised Rory strutting his stuff with a HUGE sound to match.
Brilliant :)

Right I'll shut up even though there's another Lp I want to talk about; maybe later :)

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/rory-gal ... 569272-01/

Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: Enjoying this :)

Stage Struck, believe it or not, was another album I passed on because I instinctively felt it wasn't up to much. Calling Card for some weird reason I swapped for something else! The shame!!!!! Anyway it's on my 'buy back' list :)
Stage Struck isn't a bad album but his playing seems to lack the expressiveness of his other live albums. Calling Card I would rate as one of his very best albums - its more produced than the others and has bags of style.
'Notes From San Francisco' I hate! I simply cannot get into the studio or live album and I've tried! Maybe some day.....
I liked the studio disc but guess its down to differences of taste - I felt it could have been a hit album on US FM radio which I think he needed to ease back on the touring. I didn't understand why they tagged the live disc onto it as it comes two years later. Only connection is that it was also recorded in San F but I liked the version of Shadow Play a lot.
Now here's some stuff you should DEFINITELY hear :

The first one is an 10" ep selection from the Irish Tour cd box set and is only terrific with much better sonics than the live album and understandably so.....But it's ridiculously priced at €19.99!!!
Worth it though :)
Wow thats an interesting disc - I'm guessing its material also issued on disc 7 of last year's Irish Tour reissue, which I haven't bought yet!! I always liked the jam session of side four of the original release vinyl - Stomping Ground is an outstanding track.
The second one has been available stuck onto a DVD about Rory's life and is only amazing if you can put up with the slightly bass (read: '70's) heavy sonics. And......it's on double blue vinyl :)

Talking about the hard rock sound of Photo Finish recalls his first album for Chrysalis Against The Grain which sees a totally revitalised Rory strutting his stuff with a HUGE sound to match.
Brilliant :)
The Beat Club Sessions is an outstanding live album. I haven't seen/heard the DVD so thanks for the tip - I'll definitely look out for it. I liked 'Against The Grain' but felt it was slightly underwhelming compared to Tattoo and Calling Card (the albums before and aft) - however I haven't heard it properly on a good quality system so must check it out again!

Thanks for the Youtube link - great version of 'Could have had religion'. I think Gallagher actually wrote that song even though some releases list it as Trad Arr. A book on Gallagher said he was inspired to put the song together after reading some poetry.
Right I'll shut up even though there's another Lp I want to talk about; maybe later :)
I'm guessing a dedicated Gallagher thread might pop up soon! ;)