Enjoying that cycle Fergus?

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 3

Michelle DeYoung Mezzo-Soprano
Women of the Chicago Symphony Chorus
Chicago Children's Choir
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Bernard Haitink conducting.

From time to time I do need reminding of just how good Mahler's music is and this is a great example of a performance to do just that, it gladdens the heart.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Enjoying that cycle Fergus?

Very much so Seán. It is very different from the Fitzwilliam cycle but wxcellent in its own right.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: From time to time I do need reminding of just how good Mahler's music is and this is a great example of a performance to do just that, it gladdens the heart.
As one's collection grows that is an exercise that needs doing every so often, not just for Mahler but for other composers also. That is exactly what your threads on the Beethoven symphonies did for me Seán and it is an interesting exercise.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Currently listening to....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: From time to time I do need reminding of just how good Mahler's music is and this is a great example of a performance to do just that, it gladdens the heart.
As one's collection grows that is an exercise that needs doing every so often, not just for Mahler but for other composers also. That is exactly what your threads on the Beethoven symphonies did for me Seán and it is an interesting exercise.
Spot on Fergus.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Sergei Rachmaninov
Symphonic Dances for Orchestra Opus 45

Russian State Symphony Orchestra
Valery Polansky conducting.

Rachmaninov's last work was written in the early forties and was dedicated to Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. It is performed here on the Brilliant Classics reissue of the Chandos recording by the Russian State Symphony Orchestra. Very enjoyable!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image

Sergei Rachmaninov
Symphonic Dances for Orchestra Opus 45

Russian State Symphony Orchestra
Valery Polansky conducting.

Rachmaninov's last work was written in the early forties and was dedicated to Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. It is performed here on the Brilliant Classics reissue of the Chandos recording by the Russian State Symphony Orchestra. Very enjoyable!

Although I have Rachmaninov well represented in my collection he is not a composer that I listen to very often for some reason. The only work of his that sticks in my mind is his second piano concerto.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart: Violin Concertos 3 & 4 and the Sinfonia Concertante / Mutter....

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Fergus, if you liked solo piano music I'd suggest Rachmaninoff's Etudes-Tableaux. I love those with all of my being, with a soft spot for Idel Biret on Naxos despite the flaws.

But since you're not a fan of solo piano music I won't say anything. ;)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2