What are you listening two?

markof

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by markof »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:I have started dipping into this cycle with some of the early symphonies....

I am looking forward to reading you thoughts on that cycle. The reviewer on CD Review (his name escapes me) loved the set, I do too.
Me too. I have only just listened to a recent version of the 10th. and was very impressed (see posting a couple of pages ago).

As for his other symphonies, I'm seeking recommendations as I know almost nothing of his work.

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:
Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:I have started dipping into this cycle with some of the early symphonies....

I am looking forward to reading you thoughts on that cycle. The reviewer on CD Review (his name escapes me) loved the set, I do too.
Me too. I have only just listened to a recent version of the 10th. and was very impressed (see posting a couple of pages ago).

As for his other symphonies, I'm seeking recommendations as I know almost nothing of his work.

Mark.

The only other recommendation that I can make Mark is the Kondrashin cycle which I think is excellent....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Currently listening to....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Currently listening to....

Did you enjoy those performances? Do you like Clara Haskil's playing? I have them and I love Clara Haskil's playing.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
markof

Post by markof »

fergus wrote:

The only other recommendation that I can make Mark is the Kondrashin cycle which I think is excellent....

Thanks for the recommendation. l see that set is available for streaming and received a gold star - always a good sign.

Do you have any favourites among the symphonic works?

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
james

Post by james »

markof wrote:
Seán wrote:

Mark.
I have the Kitajenko cycle and the Kondrashin cycle both of which are excellent. I would probably prefer the Kondrashin cycle but its more expensive. Naxos has a recent cycle with Petrenko.

All of his symphonies are not equally good and you may find you dont listen to all of them ..

For background try ..

http://www.siue.edu/~aho/musov/musov.html

It has some recommendations for recordings but they are a bit dated ..

http://www.siue.edu/~aho/musov/kondrash ... adisc.html

http://www.siue.edu/~aho/musov/discrev/shosdiscrev.html

Hope this helps ..

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
markof

Post by markof »

james wrote:
I have the Kitajenko cycle and the Kondrashin cycle both of which are excellent. I would probably prefer the Kondrashin cycle but its more expensive. Naxos has a recent cycle with Petrenko.

All of his symphonies are not equally good and you may find you dont listen to all of them ..

For background try ..

http://www.siue.edu/~aho/musov/musov.html

It has some recommendations for recordings but they are a bit dated ..

http://www.siue.edu/~aho/musov/kondrash ... adisc.html

http://www.siue.edu/~aho/musov/discrev/shosdiscrev.html

Hope this helps ..

James
Many thanks - I will follow up the links.
james

Post by james »

My favourites are probably no.5 and no.10.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Currently listening to....

Did you enjoy those performances? Do you like Clara Haskil's playing? I have them and I love Clara Haskil's playing.
TBH Seán I would be neutral on Haskil's playing/interpretation. That recording has been in my collection for a few years now and rarely gets played. I never persued any more recordings after that one. I thought that her playing was technically competent but not very expressive - almost mechanical - for Mozart, particularly in the slow movements. For me it lacked a fluidity that is a pre-requisite in this music. Do not misinterpret, the playing was not in any way bad; just not to my taste
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:
fergus wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. l see that set is available for streaming and received a gold star - always a good sign.

Do you have any favourites among the symphonic works?

Mark
I think that the gold star is very well deserved here! I tend to like all of the Shostakovich symphonies but the stand out ones for me would probably be nos. 5 and 11 and I find nos. 2,3,8 & 13 are also appealing due to their choral content.

I should point out that sonically, these are far from perfect cds. They are appearently remastered from somewhat damaged master tapes so you are not getting the pristine quality of a modern digital set but for me that only adds to the charm and appeal. I know that you will be streaming but, interestingly, the presentation cardboard box for this set is also very flimsy but also very Soviet!