What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

Dmitri Shostakovich
String Quartet No. 1
String Quartet No. 3

Borodin Quartet
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 from this set....

A magnificent recording. I have, on occasion, reached for an umbrella when I hear the BPO storm sequence. LOL!
It is a pretty good storm all right!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image

Johann Sebastian Bach
Brandenburg Concerto No. 6 BWV 1051

Academy of Ancient Music
Richard Edgar Directing & Harpsichord.

The one with no violins; how did you get on with that one Seán?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Dmitri Shostakovich
String Quartet No. 1
String Quartet No. 3

Borodin Quartet

Light, lyrical and accessible, yes/no?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Piano Concerto: A first listen to this work for me and I really enjoyed it. I found the music to be accessible, interesting and varied. Interestingly, I particularly enjoyed the orchestration which I thought was wonderful.

Violin Concerto: A first listen to this work also and I found it to be an intriguing work that held me captivated with its variety and invention.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:

Dmitri Shostakovich
String Quartet No. 1
String Quartet No. 3

Borodin Quartet

Light, lyrical and accessible, yes/no?
Yes and No. The final movement of the third quartet is a bit hectic shall we say other than that they are splendid pieces beautifully played by the Borodin and nicely recorded by Chandos, in essence it has the makings of a terrific set.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image

Piano Concerto: A first listen to this work for me and I really enjoyed it. I found the music to be accessible, interesting and varied. Interestingly, I particularly enjoyed the orchestration which I thought was wonderful.

Violin Concerto: A first listen to this work also and I found it to be an intriguing work that held me captivated with its variety and invention.
I have never had the motivation to explore Britten's music world, perhaps I should do so. I am struggling to get through my collection as it is. LOL
fergus

Post by fergus »

Yes and No. The final movement of the third quartet is a bit hectic shall we say other than that they are splendid pieces beautifully played by the Borodin and nicely recorded by Chandos, in essence it has the makings of a terrific set.

I have the Borodins playing the complete cycle on the Melodiya label Seán. It has been my only cycle for many years and I really like it. However I purchased a second cycle recently and your post prompted me to break it open and post my first listen to the Fitzwilliam Quartet version of Quartets 1 & 2 [CD 1]....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
I have never had the motivation to explore Britten's music world, perhaps I should do so. I am struggling to get through my collection as it is. LOL
Neither did I Sean until recently and boy am I glad that I did. I think that it is wonderful music and the more that I hear of it the more that I like it!
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

I love both of those works. Sadly not all that often heard in concert.