Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Well spotted Johnny :) Purely from memory it certainly does look like the 10cc cover shot. Hard to believe but anything I had of them is long gone to that swap shop in the sky:(
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:I too remember those early Stadium gigs with much fondness. One of the best gigs I was ever at was that to launch The Táin album. Man that place rocked that night. I still get goosebumbs [and tinnitus] thinking of it!!!

Just think back to some very fine concerts in those years given by home grown talent - Rory, Horslips, Lizzy, Skid Row, Spud [remember them!] and at the other end of the spectrum Planxty and Tír na N'Óg amongst others.

You lucky, lucky sod Fergus :( I would have given anything to be there! The closest I ever got was one of the best performances I've ever seen in the local town hall by a visiting stage troup called Macnas. They did an unbelievably stunning stage/musical show based on the Táin. The morsels us country people lived off!
tweber

Post by tweber »

Got this ages ago on cd, a very enjoyable listen:
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote:Got this ages ago on cd, a very enjoyable listen:

Brilliant title too :)
markof

Post by markof »

A nice one for this very rainy sunday afternoon - summer at last :-)
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Post by cybot »

This is truly the most majestic guitar solo (read: old fashioned) I've heard in an age. It's the type of long guitar solo I always wanted to hear from the likes of Steve Hackett et al. Do yourself a favour and listen without prejudice......

The studio version is on a Kickstarter driven project which was recently released on cd and double vinyl editions - see below. Needless to say I've already ordered my vinyl copy. Music like this only comes round very rarely these days.....

http://youtu.be/uOGhRn5rZKc[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/uOGhRn5rZKc

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/cher ... ost-cities
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:

Oh I do like that image; it has great impact!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:

Oh I do like that image; it has great impact!
It does, doesn't it?

What did you think of the former Marillion guy's beautifully realised guitar heroics Fergus? Some people think he's a Gilmore copyist Not fair on him methinks though I can hear a (very) slight resemblance here and there....
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote: What did you think of the former Marillion guy's beautifully realised guitar heroics Fergus? Some people think he's a Gilmore copyist Not fair on him methinks though I can hear a (very) slight resemblance here and there....
Lovely guitar playing there Dermot; just the style that I have always liked. Certainly there are some Gilmouresque moments but if you play that well then you are in that same league, if you know what I mean. Interestingly, I got more Wishbone Ash overtones than Gilmour; possibly with the double lead and the picking style overlay backing the main solo.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote: What did you think of the former Marillion guy's beautifully realised guitar heroics Fergus? Some people think he's a Gilmore copyist Not fair on him methinks though I can hear a (very) slight resemblance here and there....
Lovely guitar playing there Dermot; just the style that I have always liked. Certainly there are some Gilmouresque moments but if you play that well then you are in that same league, if you know what I mean. Interestingly, I got more Wishbone Ash overtones than Gilmour; possibly with the double lead and the picking style overlay backing the main solo.
Yes! I get that too Fergus. Which reminds me :)