Dussek: Two Piano Concertos....

Great music and performances!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DonKC

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by DonKC »

fergus wrote:Diepenbrock: CD 1 from this 2 CD set....

This is music that is late Romantic in nature, very melodic and accessible, flows freely and has good structure. There are four very good symphonic works on this CD and the stand out for me is Elektra [a Symphonic Suite].
A great set, Vonk was Music Director in St Louis and got to see him several times. He was a bit dour and aloof for a US Music Director and thus not real popular. Of course he followed Slatkin, who is an excellent conductor and a bit of a showman.

I have enjoyed anything I have ever heard by Diepenbrock.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DonKC wrote:

A great set, Vonk was Music Director in St Louis and got to see him several times. He was a bit dour and aloof for a US Music Director and thus not real popular. Of course he followed Slatkin, who is an excellent conductor and a bit of a showman.

Even based on only the first CD it was a great recommendation so far Don; thank you for that.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:

This is music that is late Romantic in nature, very melodic and accessible, flows freely and has good structure. There are four very good symphonic works on this CD and the stand out for me is Elektra [a Symphonic Suite].

Speaking of Hans Vonk, I have this splendid set with Christian Zacharias on piano and can happily recommend it:
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Frescobaldi alla Leonhardt....

Delightful music and performances!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Muffat: Concerti Grossi Nos. 7-12....

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

After the sensational worldwide success of Leonardo Vinci´s Artaserse with Cencic and Fagioli, it was only to be expected that Parnassus Productions will give a go to another Vinci opera, and sooner than later they chose his amazing Catone in Utica with a Metastasio libreto. This same libreto was also used by Vivaldi and countless other composers, but of all I have heard, Vinci´s has the finest music.
As with Artaserse, Catone in Utica was produced in Rome where women were banned from the stage, so castrati sang the female roles. Here Valer Sabadus and Vince Yi do well in those roles, but star countertenors Max Emanuel Cencic and Franco Fagioli have the male bravura roles, especially Fagioli who sings Cesare, a role created for Giovanni Carestini, who later went to London to work with Handel. Fagioli and Cencic once more leave you speechless and in awe with their vocal pyrotechnics. The last aria of CD 2, "Se in campo armato", for Cesare, with rousing trumpets and timpani, is not to be believed, I had to play it 3 times straight.
Also Spanish tenor Juan Sancho should be mentioned in the role of Catone, his music is sheer murder for high coloratura writing, it is certainly not a flawless performance, but one has to acknowledge that he does a lot in a role that 30 years ago might have been thought unsingable.
Il Pomo d´Oro and Riccardo Minasi play the score with super virtuoso efficiency and exquisite taste, they quite match Concerto Köln and Diego Fasolis in the Artaserse.
This is the only DECCA opera recording in more than a year [if I´m not mistaken], and they gave it a lavish production with super high quality audio and a gorgeous libreto the size of a small Bible. DECCA used to be the opera company [they advertised as such], maybe they no longer are THE opera company, but fortunately they still know how to make an opera recording. This is a vocal feast to rank with their vintage Tebaldi, Di Stefano, Bergonzi and Pavarotti recordings.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Lovely review Pepe, thanks for that.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Symphony No. 29

Prague Chamber Orchestra
Sir Charles Mackerras conducting.

I know that I have posted about Mozart's 29th before and I know that I need make no apologies for doing so again. Suffice it to say that I think that it is a beautiful performance of a superb work by Mozart, it is divine.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

After the sensational worldwide success of Leonardo Vinci´s Artaserse with Cencic and Fagioli, it was only to be expected that Parnassus Productions will give a go to another Vinci opera, and sooner than later they chose his amazing Catone in Utica with a Metastasio libreto. This same libreto was also used by Vivaldi and countless other composers, but of all I have heard, Vinci´s has the finest music.
As with Artaserse, Catone in Utica was produced in Rome where women were banned from the stage, so castrati sang the female roles. Here Valer Sabadus and Vince Yi do well in those roles, but star countertenors Max Emanuel Cencic and Franco Fagioli have the male bravura roles, especially Fagioli who sings Cesare, a role created for Giovanni Carestini, who later went to London to work with Handel. Fagioli and Cencic once more leave you speechless and in awe with their vocal pyrotechnics. The last aria of CD 2, "Se in campo armato", for Cesare, with rousing trumpets and timpani, is not to be believed, I had to play it 3 times straight.
Also Spanish tenor Juan Sancho should be mentioned in the role of Catone, his music is sheer murder for high coloratura writing, it is certainly not a flawless performance, but one has to acknowledge that he does a lot in a role that 30 years ago might have been thought unsingable.
Il Pomo d´Oro and Riccardo Minasi play the score with super virtuoso efficiency and exquisite taste, they quite match Concerto Köln and Diego Fasolis in the Artaserse.
This is the only DECCA opera recording in more than a year [if I´m not mistaken], and they gave it a lavish production with super high quality audio and a gorgeous libreto the size of a small Bible. DECCA used to be the opera company [they advertised as such], maybe they no longer are THE opera company, but fortunately they still know how to make an opera recording. This is a vocal feast to rank with their vintage Tebaldi, Di Stefano, Bergonzi and Pavarotti recordings.
That must be really good Pepe!!
Great to see such a lavish production from Decca again. Perhaps a sign of better things to come.