Forum Birthday 2015

sebna

Re: Forum Birthday 2015

Post by sebna »

Thank you very much Fran. I had a great time. Happy bday Tir Na HiFi!
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Sligolad wrote:............
Just glad the host was so forgiving to all the swapping and not a sign of any blue smoke during the day :-))
That's because I wasn't there :)
Sorry I missed it
There are a number of speakers in the pics of the "Quad room" - some electros & some not - can anybody list what was listened to?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

These wee beasties were the best I heard John, KLH Sixs if memory serves, from circa 1967. The quads and magnaplaners weren't sounding their best that day but these just sang....

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks, Ivor - the old one's are the best, eh?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Well the little wadia DAC amp thingy surprised me
sure it didn't have the detail of some high end DACs
But is certainly very respectable and its an amp too

A b testing is very difficult on big days
I assume very few guys enjoy 30 secs of test tracks on loop
Never less it was good to catch up
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I'm afraid I was tied up with work so unable to attend etc. However great to see the photos, looks like a fantastic time was had by all. Seems like you are running out of room too!!

The speakers seem to be mulitplying like Rabbits!!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
tony

Post by tony »

The Audeze LCD3 headphones with the woo amplification was the highlight for me. Incredibly sounding headphones,huge soundstage/depth clarity and Woo amp and power supply are some beasts.Lots of things are down to personal taste as Paddy(Headphone man) preferred theSenn HD800's but for me the LCD's had that Stax feel with lots of weight thrown in as well. Paddy got his first introduction to an audiopc and seems hooked. His setup with pc/Maciej's Lampizator L2.7 and initially JKCuinas sounded great.

Together the Woo units were not far off the size of Derek's Airtight which also worked very well with the Eist Dubhs. I think it is an EL34 amp? but oddles of detail.
I only got to hear it with Nigels new dac on a kitchen towel roll. Looks like Nigel is on to something as it sounded great. A bit of work though still required on the box.

Would concur with Ivor on the quads and magnaplanars and Fran explained the treble panels in the Quads need some love and attention.
Shocking bit for me was flicking through some of the vinyl on display. Cost wise it was a bit jaw dropping.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:The Audeze LCD3 headphones with the woo amplification was the highlight for me. Incredibly sounding headphones,huge soundstage/depth clarity and Woo amp and power supply are some beasts.Lots of things are down to personal taste as Paddy(Headphone man) preferred theSenn HD800's but for me the LCD's had that Stax feel with lots of weight thrown in as well. Paddy got his first introduction to an audiopc and seems hooked. His setup with pc/Maciej's Lampizator L2.7 and initially JKCuinas sounded great.
yea i thought paddy would be surprised
picoless would probably suit him for the bass
Together the Woo units were not far off the size of Derek's Airtight which also worked very well with the Eist Dubhs. I think it is an EL34 amp? but oddles of detail.
I only got to hear it with Nigels new dac on a kitchen towel roll. Looks like Nigel is on to something as it sounded great. A bit of work though still required on the box.
someones looking for motherboard modifications me thinks ;)

Would concur with Ivor on the quads and magnaplanars and Fran explained the treble panels in the Quads need some love and attention.
Shocking bit for me was flicking through some of the vinyl on display. Cost wise it was a bit jaw dropping.
yea got a tt and some vinyl over christmas (thx pearse)
learnt fast its still a fine art and expensive
so its a matter of pick your poison
audio pc would be cheaper if one wasnt running experiments all the time :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

[quote="nige2000"][quote]
someones looking for motherboard modifications me thinks ;)[quote]

I am normally more direct so thought maybe the slightly subtle approach would melt any resistance!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
someones looking for motherboard modifications me thinks ;)
I am normally more direct so thought maybe the slightly subtle approach would melt any resistance!
ok I want to be able to boot my modded mobo with your battery powersupply unit
to test it for stability before we start modding on a new board

when suits?