Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Brahms: Symphony No.4 and Double Concerto....

Symphony No.4: Recorded in 1939, this is a wonderful performance by the Staatskapelle Dresden/Bohm. The recording shows its age even with the re-mastering by Dutton but the performance is very compelling.
Double Concerto: The work was recorded in 1929 and therefore the sound is very dated but the Dutton re-mastering has done a wonderful job in bringing the recording to life. The performances by all concerned are really wonderful especially in the slow movement where the instrumental playing is heartfelt and the orchestral accompaniment is most sensitive.
fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB – Two Cantatas, BWV8 & BWV 27 for the Sixteenth Sunday after Trinity....

fergus

Post by fergus »

20th Century French Music for Wind....

Wonderful music; some challenging (to my ear) and some, melodically, simple but lovely.
fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Olafur Arnalds – Found Songs....

There is some really hauntingly beautiful music on this disc....but not an awful lot of it. However, I suppose it is better to have really liked what one has heard and be left wanting more than to have been disappointed.

This is a disc that really is worth checking out....I think that the music is, although simple in structure and presentation, of a very high standard and is full of soul.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Image
looks interesting Fergus. I'll make note of it. Not much music listening for me recently as I'm in the middle of moving to a new place. Unfortunately I gave myself quite a nasty lower back injury while trying to get a pair of 82kg speakers up two flights of stairs even though I had plenty of assistance. Anyway, hopefully by the weekend I'll have my stuff all connected back together.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote: Unfortunately I gave myself quite a nasty lower back injury while trying to get a pair of 82kg speakers up two flights of stairs even though I had plenty of assistance. Anyway, hopefully by the weekend I'll have my stuff all connected back together.
Hopefully your hi-fi equipment will be operational too! ;)
fergus

Post by fergus »

I hope that the back and the new place work out OK for you Dave!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Janacek: Taras Bulba, Concertino & Sinfonietta....

Taras Bulba was a performance full of drama, tension and excitement with a big, full sound incorporating wonderful brass.
The Concertino for piano, 2 violins, viola, clarinet, horn and bassoon was a work that I had not heard before and only the final movement appealed to me on first hearing....a work that I need to listen to again a number of times.
The Sinfonietta was a wonderful performance with lovely textures especially from the brass and woodwinds.