Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Absolutely can't wait until bedtime so I can watch this in peace :-)

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

An amazing album.

here he is doing a Bill Callahan song from that album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV_astp3 ... r_embedded
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I've seen that album a few times Ivor - is it worth getting?

on rotation:

and this is which is quite a rarity and unfortunately not in mint condition:

Although Eric Clapton is credited in the title, this is not a Clapton-centric album like the John Mayall album where he is billed similarly. After the disastrous Blind Faith tour, Clapton was ready to disappear into a band, and the warmup act on that tour, Delaney and Bonnie and Friends, was it.

The dominant presence here by far is Delaney Bramlett. He's the bandleader, and is clearly in control. The music is a high-energy, feelgood blend of soul, blues, and rock. The band is some of the best of the Wrecking Crew/Plantation musicians from Los Angeles. Bear in mind that all but Clapton, Bobby Whitlock, and D&B themselves did Joe Cocker's "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" tour just three months after making this record.

This is terrific ensemble playing, really the only time Clapton has immersed himself in that (Cream really doesn't fit the description). There are no guitar pyrotechnics here. Rather, guitars played by EC, Dave Mason, and Delaney Bramlett weave in and out much like Keith Richards/Brian Jones and Richards/Ronnie Wood. Solos, when taken, are short and to the point.

Delaney is a forceful if not particularly melodic singer, and Rita Coolidge's smoky voice does a lot to round out Bonnie Bramlett's voice, which can be thin at times. This outfit probably thought it was the best band in the world, and played like it wanted to prove it.

The presence of George Harrison on this record is uncertain. Some sources claim he played on this date (the entire album comes from December 7, 1969, although other shows were recorded); others dispute this. Delaney Bramlett does not include George in the band introductions, though. Although some say George purposely performed anonymously, there are videos from a TV broadcast of a different concert that show Bramlett clearly introducing him. Even so, if George is on the album, he's pretty much undetectable in the mix. Clapton, Mason, and Bramlett are all easy to hear, although it's often difficult to tell who is who.

If you like energetic, vocal and horn-driven soul with just a touch of guitar flourishes, this album is a fine investment.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:I've seen that album a few times Ivor - is it worth getting?
Oh deffo, it would be crackin' on vinyl too if possible. I'm a long time fan though, some people just don't get him at all.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
mick

Post by mick »

I have just ordered the album from 'cd wow' on vinyl for 15 euro.

http://www.cdwow.ie/search?q=delaney+%26+bonnie&t=all
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

Surprised to hear how fresh these still sound on Lp :)

Stereo

Stereo

Mono
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote: Image
Stereo
That was one of the earliest LP's that I originally owned....I inherited a batch of vinyl from an uncle of mine way back in the late 60's (when I was in nappies, mind you) when he emigrated to Canada.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote: Image
Stereo
That was one of the earliest LP's that I originally owned....I inherited a batch of vinyl from an uncle of mine way back in the late 60's (when I was in nappies, mind you) when he emigrated to Canada.
Lucky you :) Have you still got them?