ALPS RK 501 Potentiometer

Ciaran

ALPS RK 501 Potentiometer

Post by Ciaran »

Soon after I bought my Airtight ATC 2 pre-amp (over a year ago)

Ivan Cloney cruelly mentioned that there was an upgrade available for it, which could be retrofitted. The upgrade was an improved volume control. I didn't think much about it, but I looked it up and found out that this was an ALPS RK 501 Potentiometer

Recently I discovered that ALPS had discontinued this pot some time ago, but I assumed that Airtight had a stash of them. I asked Ivan to make inquiries and discovered that Airtight had just one left! I ordered it.

The shiny object arrived in Blackrock a few weeks ago and I brought my ATC 2 in for the minor surgery required. Now the ATC 2 is an extremely good pre-amp, which was clearly better than my old Jadis JP30MC which in turn was clearly head-and-shoulders above all the pre-amps I had been able to compare it with, some of them very highly thought of. With the the new pot, all of its virtues were polished to a higher sheen: the transparency is just staggering! Pulling out very familiar records (like Simone Kermes in LAVA)

I'm hearing around and behind the musicians, hearing all the continuo instruments in detail, hearing their timbres beautifully, their melodies truly: in fact everything I thought the ATC 2 did perfectly it now does better!

Icing on the cake update: I got an unexpected bonus from dCS in the post this week, a data CD to use to update the software on the Scarlatti DAC

This includes improved DSD play and two new filters for 44.1 play. Can I just say "unbelievable palpability"?
Ivor

Re: ALPS RK 501 Potentiometer

Post by Ivor »

Hi Fi is the Black Arts.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Seán

Post by Seán »

Well done Ciaran.....I honestly did not think that there was room for improvement. Enjoy.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Congratulations Ciaran,

But is that you back on the slippery slope to penury???????????
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'm salivating even at the thought of it!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:....everything I thought the ATC 2 did perfectly it now does better!
Very nice Ciaran....enjoy every moment of it!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Nice one Ciaran,

transparency is the goal with any pot - improving them removes more "hash" or greyness each time. I've tricked about a good bit with different ones (although never as high end as that one) and have found surprising results along the way. The other airtight amps I've had a look inside always use the RK27 series of mono pots (blue velvet). I've tried a few of these and was never that impressed by them, but the amps in question sound incredible, so I put it down to synergy.

Nice job!!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try