Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

Steve Mason's first release under his real name.His best since "The Beta Band" first release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKUe2NEPP9c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cdDmqvkpV4Steve Mason's first solo work as "King biscuit time".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eHLA_BvaiEThe Beta band.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Do or do not, there is no try
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Fran wrote:Image
I'll be purchasing this myself very shortly. I'm impressed with Ms May, I must admit.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

As I ponder on the sheer madness of actually thinking of buying the Mono Box set on vinyl (HELP!)
I'll give this a listen tonight and convince myself how crap they really are - joke! (and how wonderful The White Album
would sound in glorious Mono...)

mcq

Post by mcq »

Undoubtedly, the Mono CD Box was overpriced and represented a fine example of EMI cashing in on the hordes of Beatles fans that are out there. Ostensibly a limited edition, when initial stocks sold out they thoughtfully made more copies available for Christmas. As I write this, these boxes are still available on Amazon and, locally, in Tower (€200). (I wonder just how much they'll charge for the vinyl reissues!)

But, despite the fact that I paid €250 for my copy of this box set in Tower last year, I do think it's worth every penny. Beautiful presentation of the individual CDs (which I believe was overseen by EMI Japan) and the sound is incredible. It really is the most live and immediate that I have heard this music sounding. There's a real raw feel to the music which really does bring you much closer to how the original sessions must have sounded. I haven't heard the stereo issues yet but apparently, "judicious" use of compression was utilised here and there and the mono releases have been acknowledged to be the most authentic-sounding. Sgt. Pepper and The White Album are revelations in mono, but the albums I keep coming back to are my favourites, Revolver and Rubber Soul. But, really, it's all good.

With regards to next month's vinyl box, however, I really can't see a vinyl hound like yourself resisting this one, Dermot - whatever the price (and it will be steep).

Personally speaking, this year's mono box of choice will be the Dylan mono box which collects his first 8 albums in mono and is released next month as, naturally, a limited edition. I can't wait. There's also a vinyl box as well.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:Undoubtedly, the Mono CD Box was overpriced and represented a fine example of EMI cashing in on the hordes of Beatles fans that are out there. Ostensibly a limited edition, when initial stocks sold out they thoughtfully made more copies available for Christmas. As I write this, these boxes are still available on Amazon and, locally, in Tower (€200). (I wonder just how much they'll charge for the vinyl reissues!)

But, despite the fact that I paid €250 for my copy of this box set in Tower last year, I do think it's worth every penny. Beautiful presentation of the individual CDs (which I believe was overseen by EMI Japan) and the sound is incredible. It really is the most live and immediate that I have heard this music sounding. There's a real raw feel to the music which really does bring you much closer to how the original sessions must have sounded. I haven't heard the stereo issues yet but apparently, "judicious" use of compression was utilised here and there and the mono releases have been acknowledged to be the most authentic-sounding. Sgt. Pepper and The White Album are revelations in mono, but the albums I keep coming back to are my favourites, Revolver and Rubber Soul. But, really, it's all good.

With regards to next month's vinyl box, however, I really can't see a vinyl hound like yourself resisting this one, Dermot - whatever the price (and it will be steep).

Personally speaking, this year's mono box of choice will be the Dylan mono box which collects his first 8 albums in mono and is released next month as, naturally, a limited edition. I can't wait. There's also a vinyl box as well.
Welcome back Paul (no relation!); Thanks for clearing all that up, I know now I'm not mad :) A beautiful Christmas present it will be when I'm 64 :-) Drat, that's not for a few years yet! Ah well, I can always pretend.... Can't wait.

As regards the Dylan Mono set do let us know what you think when you get it.
cybot

Post by cybot »

In the meantime I'll have another listen to this...

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Do or do not, there is no try