MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

satshanti wrote:First, thank you again, Gordon, for creating these special AMD versions. They are amazing, definitely the right ones for my CPU. I again tried the various versions and avx amd > avx > avx2 >sse2. So it only makes sense for me to test the amd versions from now on, so please keep them coming. :-)

There aren't that many of them yet, but I just had a fascinating duel between 5.95 and 6.11. They are both absolutely incredible, with such detail, and that through 1644!

It's hard to choose between the two, not because they are the same, but because in their subtle differences they are almost perfectly complementary. At the same time, their individual strengths are such that in both cases these in themselves create an almost effortless realism.

5.95 avx amd
+ great PRAT, dynamic, natural reverb, spacious and breathing sound stage
- ever so slightly too "loose"

6.11 avx amd
+ great micro detail, tonal fidelity, focused instrument placement
- ever so slightly too "edgy"

With both of these versions for the first time I find myself finishing all test tracks until the very end. Until now, I often stopped after 2 or 3 minutes into a track, because I got enough of an impression for comparison. With these two, I cannot make myself interrupt a track in the middle of it. I am drawn into the music so easily, and I'm so involved and engaged that I just have to listen to the end.

Gordon, you're a genius! :-)
don't know about that, I do know an unhealthy amount about what affects the sound. Of course, you realise any differences heard are in your head because it would break the laws of physics for there to be any difference. Don't think we're any closer to squaring that circle.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

yup, 6.14 sounds like a finished product, very satisfying to listen to. Can even hear the little tinkly bits on the piano, Alfred Brendel KV459 and earlier had Amy Winehouse soulful voice & test of the bass. It's got detail and yet is calming to listen to, the ears are fooled at last by digital reproduction.
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

sbgk wrote:yup, 6.14 sounds like a finished product, very satisfying to listen to. Can even hear the little tinkly bits on the piano, Alfred Brendel KV459 and earlier had Amy Winehouse soulful voice & test of the bass. It's got detail and yet is calming to listen to, the ears are fooled at last by digital reproduction.
I hear the same on 6.09+manifest. 6.14 sounds little dry on my system :) Personal preferences?
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

when software sounds dry, it can mean a lot of things

maybe you are ready to +1 unit in cpu, ram or igpu voltage
now sound maybe mellow again

each +1unit = a little extra quantity
too much voltage = doesn't vibrate = hard sound

when sound is hard, it can means a lot of things

it can mean micro-details is poor, now you go fix things in OS that fucks things up
maybe
"Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color" is enabled
"iGPU rendered standby" is enabled in BIOS
now sound is soft again...

you keep going until you get 100% increase in SQ...

eventually, you would realise, mqn.exe tends towards 100% correct in musical notes

eventually, you would realise 2.71 v2 is actually hi-res already

a lot of people hear is jitter, not real thing. stay open minded...

i still don't know if that extra bass layer created by win8 metro is real thing or not...
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

prefer 6.11... bass as tight as 6.14 my setup cannot handle it. lost dynamic. could work... need figure it out

6.11 can be a finished product?

---
did more testing..

was running too many programs, 6.14 was stoned...
now better... closing everything

6.14 > 6.11 technically

prefer 6.11... more easy to vibrate

---------
restarted pc... turned off lan... (i know my lan make hard sound)

now prefer 6.14...

maybe make it a little softer... i need to browse...

to my ear 6.11, 6.14 is best of version 3.x up to now...

2.7x sounds a lot different... not sure can beat them completely
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

I can see why 5.14 sounds like it does, so need a sweeter sound with more detail.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

back to liking 6.11 is superb... what i heard this morning is same at night...
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

sbgk wrote:I can see why 5.14 sounds like it does, so need a sweeter sound with more detail.
Got it!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I can't play any of the latest avx2 versions! MQn box is there, Tasker box is there, but no sound! No problems with the previous 200(or more) avx2 versions.

Tony, did you put spell on me?!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
taggart

Post by taggart »

sima66 wrote:I can't play any of the latest avx2 versions! MQn box is there, Tasker box is there, but no sound! No problems with the previous 200(or more) avx2 versions.
Same here. If the newer versions now are "real" AVX2 version, it might be because we're using an Ivy Bridge processor.