Lorin Maazel rest in peace.

Seán

Lorin Maazel rest in peace.

Post by Seán »

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Re: Lorin Maazel rest in peace.

Post by fergus »

Sad news indeed Seán. Another luminary of the music world takes his leave of us. Like a lot of collectors I have a number of his recordings in my collection and only recently I had purchased a Sibelius Symphonic Cycle where he conducts the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

And it's a very good cycle too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:And it's a very good cycle too.

I have not listened to it yet Seán but now with the news of his passing I will move it up in my listening schedule.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

I was fortunate to hear Lorin Maazel often and with several orchestras around the World. If I had to choose the finest performance I heard him live would have to be a Mahler Second with the Cleveland Orchestra here in our University´s excellent concert hall. The alto soloist was Maureen Forrester and the soprano Gianna Rolandi. It was a truly exceptional performance, circa 1980.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:I was fortunate to hear Lorin Maazel often and with several orchestras around the World. If I had to choose the finest performance I heard him live would have to be a Mahler Second with the Cleveland Orchestra here in our University´s excellent concert hall. The alto soloist was Maureen Forrester and the soprano Gianna Rolandi. It was a truly exceptional performance, circa 1980.
Oh, that must have been heavenly.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:I was fortunate to hear Lorin Maazel often and with several orchestras around the World. If I had to choose the finest performance I heard him live would have to be a Mahler Second with the Cleveland Orchestra here in our University´s excellent concert hall. The alto soloist was Maureen Forrester and the soprano Gianna Rolandi. It was a truly exceptional performance, circa 1980.
It was Seán. Maazel always praised the acoustics of the Nezahualcoyotl concert hall, and they proved ideal for the Resurrection.

Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
Seán wrote:
It was Seán. Maazel always praised the acoustics of the Nezahualcoyotl concert hall, and they proved ideal for the Resurrection.

Wow, that's a university concert hall!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote: Image

Beautiful!!!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote: Image

Beautiful!!!
It was made in the late 70´s when the barrel of oil was sky high, that´s why Mexico could afford it.