Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture

DaveF

Re: Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture

Post by DaveF »

Great stuff Fergus. I pretty sure that I dont have this on CD so I'll make some time to listen to that youtube clip above. I've a few ideas myself on a work to present but I'll need some time to research it.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ivor wrote:Superb Fergus, you're starting with a high standard for all but fair play, that's exactly what the likes of myself needs. Huge thanks.

Cheers Ivor. I tried to keep it "low tech." to make it more accessible. I am sure that you know the work but have you ever listened to it before? Don't forget to post some thoughts after a listen or two as that is what this is supposed to be all about. I hope that you like it and get something from it.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Great stuff Fergus. I pretty sure that I dont have this on CD so I'll make some time to listen to that youtube clip above. I've a few ideas myself on a work to present but I'll need some time to research it.
Cheers Dave. TBH you will not need a CD version unless you actually want to own one as that clip is very adequate.
Look forward to your future contribution.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

fergus wrote:
Ivor wrote:Superb Fergus, you're starting with a high standard for all but fair play, that's exactly what the likes of myself needs. Huge thanks.

Cheers Ivor. I tried to keep it "low tech." to make it more accessible. I am sure that you know the work but have you ever listened to it before? Don't forget to post some thoughts after a listen or two as that is what this is supposed to be all about. I hope that you like it and get something from it.

I'm pretty sure I have recording somewhere... not sure if vinyl or CD. That said I can't say I've ever actually listened to it before. But now I will, thanks again.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

That was brilliant!

I had skimmed through it just the once but when input it on for the girls I was able to talk them through what each part of the music meant; and they loved it !!

Although it may cause issues when were on holidays as the French are now, and forever will be "baddies"!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

jaybee wrote:That was brilliant!

I had skimmed through it just the once but when input it on for the girls I was able to talk them through what each part of the music meant; and they loved it !!

Although it may cause issues when were on holidays as the French are now, and forever will be "baddies"!

I am delighted that your girls got some benefit from the analysis Johnny. It makes the music come so much more alive for kids when they can visualise a story behind the music. Kids' imaginations are wonderful and the 1812 is quite dramatic. I recall Fran having a similiar experience with his kids when he did the same with The Four Seasons.
Seán

Post by Seán »

This is a lovely thread Fergus, well done.

When I was in my teens I was exposed to a wide variety of different music and I took an instant liking to: Skid Row, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Rich, Duke Ellington and, interestingly enough, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. A friend of mine had recordings of the First Piano Concerto and the 1812 Overture in his father's classical music collection. I loved both of them. What I found with Tchaikovsky's music was that, unlike Mozart's and Beethoven's, it has instant appeal, it is not complicated, is luxurious, contains gorgeous melodies and is full of drama. His 1812 Overture was, for me, a marvellous introduction to classical music.

I had a copy of the Dorati recording, I bought it in 2010 (I think) but I lent to out a couple of years ago so I do not have any recordings of the 1812 in my collection, which is a crying shame. I will have to correct that anomaly now that Fergus has whet my appetite to listen to it again. Heavens know, I need something to distract me and to help to wean me off my current Mozart (only) binge.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:This is a lovely thread Fergus, well done.

When I was in my teens I was exposed to a wide variety of different music and I took an instant liking to: Skid Row, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Rich, Duke Ellington and, interestingly enough, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. A friend of mine had recordings of the First Piano Concerto and the 1812 Overture in his father's classical music collection. I loved both of them. What I found with Tchaikovsky's music was that, unlike Mozart's and Beethoven's, it has instant appeal, it is not complicated, is luxurious, contains gorgeous melodies and is full of drama. His 1812 Overture was, for me, a marvellous introduction to classical music.

I had a copy of the Dorati recording, I bought it in 2010 (I think) but I lent to out a couple of years ago so I do not have any recordings of the 1812 in my collection, which is a crying shame. I will have to correct that anomaly now that Fergus has whet my appetite to listen to it again. Heavens know, I need something to distract me and to help to wean me off my current Mozart (only) binge.

Interestingly, two of the pieces that you mentioned above namely Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 and his 1812 Overture were also works that I took an immediate liking to in my early teens and still listen to both of them.

Stick with Mozart for as long as you need to Seán; nothing wrong there. Tchaikovsky was a very great admirer of Mozart so you have a good connection there.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:This is a lovely thread Fergus, well done.

I just can't get enough of his symphonies, they are wonderfully joyous works.

Interestingly, two of the pieces that you mentioned above namely Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 and his 1812 Overture were also works that I took an immediate liking to in my early teens and still listen to both of them.

Stick with Mozart for as long as you need to Seán; nothing wrong there. Tchaikovsky was a very great admirer of Mozart so you have a good connection there.
I can't get enough of his music particularly his symphonies, they are gloriously uplifting works.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Funnily enough, it was a Tchaikovsky piece that also tipped me in my teens from knowing CM through school studies, to actively seeking out new works...

For me it was Serenade for Strings Op.48

I have the Paavo Beglund version (with the Dvorak Serenade) and it would be on my Desert Island list
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....