Your SINGLE biggest Hifi regret?

Ivor

Re: Your SINGLE biggest Hifi regret?

Post by Ivor »

I think my only regret was lending my then hifi to a mate for a house party. The speakers wouldn't have been more blown if I'd lent them to an old prostitute.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

There was a time when I started I tended to go through many components over a short duration. I got no to minimal improvement with them but lost some money each time, not a huge regret but not something I do anymore

My biggest regret was years ago when I bought a Music Fidelity DAC without telling my wife. I used to install it in the system when she was out and put it back in the attic when finished. Well one day I was caught and all hell broke loose. I ended up without the DAC and many many months of disharmony. Such a thing has never happened again but luckily she is supportive and eager with most HiFi purchases
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
cybot

Post by cybot »

HiFiFan wrote:There was a time when I started I tended to go through many components over a short duration. I got no to minimal improvement with them but lost some money each time, not a huge regret but not something I do anymore

My biggest regret was years ago when I bought a Music Fidelity DAC without telling my wife. I used to install it in the system when she was out and put it back in the attic when finished. Well one day I was caught and all hell broke loose. I ended up without the DAC and many many months of disharmony. Such a thing has never happened again but luckily she is supportive and eager with most HiFi purchases
That's a cautionary tale if ever there was one :)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

HiFiFan wrote:. Well one day I was caught and all hell broke loose.
hahahahahahahaaaa....

Yep we all go through these lessons from time to time. All hell broke lose once in my place...... and needless to say I did not upset the apple cart again!!!

I learned my lesson and I survived.... I am a survivor!!

But it is fun to live dangerously, to live on the edge... thin ice... with your wits on constant alert... sleeping with the light on etc etc...

Hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ivor wrote:I think my only regret was lending my then hifi to a mate for a house party. The speakers wouldn't have been more blown if I'd lent them to an old prostitute.
Ah for feck sake, what a turn of phrase! I love it Ivor, well done.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

HiFiFan wrote:There was a time when I started I tended to go through many components over a short duration. I got no to minimal improvement with them but lost some money each time, not a huge regret but not something I do anymore

Holy sh1t, that could be fatal!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ivor wrote:I think my only regret was lending my then hifi to a mate for a house party. The speakers wouldn't have been more blown if I'd lent them to an old prostitute.
Yep, love it! A quite polite way of phrasing it too. No common slags here...

'Tis funny, when I first saw the title of the thread, my first thought was about regrets of selling older gear, not so much about the decisions on the replacement... Can't really pick out any purchase and damn it.

Maybe one: I should have had the cop-on to go for a Wadia 581iSE (which has the digital inputs and outputs). Would have given great flexibility now in the world of CA....

The selling regret: a 2nd system based around that ML383. A simply beautiful solid state amp. Have no desire for solid state again. But if I still had it knocking around, I know I'd still enjoy the merits of this particular example...
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I sold a set of AKG501 headphones to a mate - sorry I did that. They sounded lovely and are rarer than hens teeth now. In fairness he uses them a lot so at least they are being used....
Do or do not, there is no try
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Diapason wrote:
jaybee wrote: not even your turntable?
No, I believe my mother still uses it occasionally.
I have a bunch of Jim Reeves on vinyl if she's a fan?
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well I think somebody must be regretting letting this baby go....

A Luxman SQ-38U integrated valve amplifier... for 2.5K euro on the Cloney second hand section....

What a sight to behold.... What's happening???? Valve Amplifiers seem to be just falling out of the sky or something!!!

Let the Good Times Roll...................