Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

On the Cleadaudio TT:

Joe Pass – guitar
Eberhard Weber – bass
Kenny Clare – drums
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

1. Sea Journey
2. Nacada
3. The Whopper
4. B & G (Midwestern Nights Dream)
5. Yellow Fields
6. Claude and Betty

Gary Burton (vibraphone);
Pat Metheny (electric guitar);
Steve Swallow (electric bass);
Dan Gottlieb (drums) &
Eberhard Weber (electric bass).

A little diversion from my Mahler listening and what a contrast it represents too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Gussy Finknottle

Post by Gussy Finknottle »

Seán wrote:Image

1. Sea Journey
2. Nacada
3. The Whopper
4. B & G (Midwestern Nights Dream)
5. Yellow Fields
6. Claude and Betty

Gary Burton (vibraphone);
Pat Metheny (electric guitar);
Steve Swallow (electric bass);
Dan Gottlieb (drums) &
Eberhard Weber (electric bass).

A little diversion from my Mahler listening and what a contrast it represents too.
Great Bass playing from the one and only Eberhard Weber
He who dies with the most expensive HiFi wins
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT:

"Part I" – 26:15
"Part II a" – 15:00
"Part II b" – 19:19
"Part II c" – 6:59

All compositions by Keith Jarrett

Keith Jarret - Piano

Terribly self indulgent? Yes, Wandering, meandering solo piano? Yes. But it's a wondeful tour de force by Jarrett, it is gorgeous, timeless music making.
In the late seventies when I worked in the Jazz Record shop in ye olde Dandelion Green on Saint Stephen's Green this little ditty just walked off the shelves. Everyone from Jazz to Rock heads wanted a copy of the set. With worldwide sales of more than 3.5 million, it became the best-selling solo album in jazz history. That's some acheivement.
Seán

Post by Seán »

1. Soul Intro (Pastorius) / The Chicken (Ellis) 8:00
2. Continuum (Pastorius) 2:34
3. Invitation (Kaper) 17:43
4. Three Views of a Secret (Pastorius) 5:56
5. Liberty City (Pastorius) 8:11
6. Punk Jazz (Pastorius) 4:35
7. Happy Birthday (M. & P. Hill) 1:48
8. Reza (Pastorius) 10:36
9. Domingo (Pastorius) 5:39
10. Band Intros 2:37
11. Amerika (Traditional) 1:43

Featuring -
Jaco Pastorius: Bass
Michael Brecker: Tenor Saxophone
Bob Mintzer: Bass Clarinet, Soprano and Tenor Saxophone
and the Peter Graves Orchestra.

I usually broadcast track seven throughout the house when we are celebrating a bithday in the family, however, this morning I took it one step further and listened to the entire CD. Lovely playing throughout by the late lamented, Jaco and Michael Brecker too. Mintzer's playing is splendid.....perhaps it's time for me to listen to his work with the Stockholm Jazz Orchestra again.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Enjoying a lazy holiday Monday afternoon with this gem providing the perfect accompaniment.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Derek wrote:Image

Enjoying a lazy holiday Monday afternoon with this gem providing the perfect accompaniment.
The story goes that on hearing Oscar Peterson sing Nat 's tunes he said to Oscar, ‘Look, I’ll make you a bargain. I won’t play the piano if you won’t sing.’ Cole was a great pianist, one of the best.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Seán wrote:On the TT:

"Part I" – 26:15
"Part II a" – 15:00
"Part II b" – 19:19
"Part II c" – 6:59

All compositions by Keith Jarrett

Keith Jarret - Piano

Terribly self indulgent? Yes, Wandering, meandering solo piano? Yes. But it's a wondeful tour de force by Jarrett, it is gorgeous, timeless music making.
In the late seventies when I worked in the Jazz Record shop in ye olde Dandelion Green on Saint Stephen's Green this little ditty just walked off the shelves. Everyone from Jazz to Rock heads wanted a copy of the set. With worldwide sales of more than 3.5 million, it became the best-selling solo album in jazz history. That's some acheivement.
Nice story Seán and great to see you not only playing the ECM catalogue but on the turntable too :)That album is actually available again from ECM in a remastered 180 gm edition! BTW did anything take your fancy in the Summer ECM sale? I didn't bite as I'm just too occupied with other music.I'll probably regret it later...
Seán

Post by Seán »

cybot wrote:
Seán wrote:In the late seventies when I worked in the Jazz Record shop in ye olde Dandelion Green on Saint Stephen's Green this little ditty just walked off the shelves. Everyone from Jazz to Rock heads wanted a copy of the set. With worldwide sales of more than 3.5 million, it became the best-selling solo album in jazz history. That's some acheivement.
Nice story Seán and great to see you not only playing the ECM catalogue but on the turntable too :)That album is actually available again from ECM in a remastered 180 gm edition! BTW did anything take your fancy in the Summer ECM sale? I didn't bite as I'm just too occupied with other music.I'll probably regret it later...
Thanks Dermot. No I haven't bought any ECM recordings lately and if I did I would probably opt for Jarrett playing Bach. I only buy classcial recordings these days and I have slowed down at that too. I will have to wait until later this year perhaps before normal service is resumed in that department too.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Seán wrote:
cybot wrote:
Seán wrote:In the late seventies when I worked in the Jazz Record shop in ye olde Dandelion Green on Saint Stephen's Green this little ditty just walked off the shelves. Everyone from Jazz to Rock heads wanted a copy of the set. With worldwide sales of more than 3.5 million, it became the best-selling solo album in jazz history. That's some acheivement.
Thanks Dermot. No I haven't bought any ECM recordings lately and if I did I would probably opt for Jarrett playing Bach. I only buy classcial recordings these days and I have slowed down at that too. I will have to wait until later this year perhaps before normal service is resumed in that department too.
Would you believe, now that I remember, I spotted a Bach box by Jarrett today in Dublin - it might have been The Well Tempered Clavier, I can't remember.It was stuck way up on the shelf and I got distracted and promptly forgot about it until you reminded me!?!? I'll have to go back up now :)