MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
taggart

Re: MQN

Post by taggart »

Sligolad wrote:Certainly is a great deal of activity on the forum this past week with good results!
Cheers, Pearse.
Really true, a year ago I would never had a thought about getting such a great sound out of a PC!
3daudio

Post by 3daudio »

jesuscheung wrote:
3daudio wrote:Call me crazy, but I prefer 2.62 with avx control over 3.11 in whatever combination. All this on 24/96.

Sounds richer, more bass extension, deeper soundstage, more natural tone.

There you have it! Battle on guys...
hey 3daudio, try this really old mqn
2.51 sse4 intel rax no zi noaff (24 bit v5) MOD.zip

https://drive.google.com/?usp=folder&au ... 0plZTNGd0E

can play both 16, 24bits

it has bass like 2.62 avx. i love this version. live and musical. natural. vinyl like. i use it for bass.

(think i modded the PE for more bass. forgot what i did. such a long time ago)
Cannot find that exact version in the Archive, for your link I don't have an account or password.
I think I can't play sse4 on my Laptop anyway.
MQn-Player/WinServer12/AudioOptimizer 1.26-> Audioquest Diamond USB -> AR-T Legato II -> AMR DP-777 -> MEG 901K
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

3.11 avx too sharp and agressive, highs a bit shouty, bass too booming and lost details of the vibrations. Mids are OK.

3.10 avx not as extreme as 3.11, so not as sharp, not as booming, but not as open and insightfull bass as the 3.08 & 3.09

3.09 can be somwhat sharp in the highs as if driven too hard.

3.08 avx still the preferred one of the latest new versions
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
tony

Post by tony »

Is that the same with sse2 Aleg? I found 3.11 ok last night. I had felt like what some of the others are reporting on the early 3.xx versions but I thought things had got better.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:Is that the same with sse2 Aleg? I found 3.11 ok last night. I had felt like what some of the others are reporting on the early 3.xx versions but I thought things had got better.
I must admit I have not (yet) checked those in sse, because I soooo like the avx.

Now listening to Art Blakey's masterpiece with avx 3.08

You'll have to wait until it is finished :-()
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
Fujak

Post by Fujak »

Hi,

I agree with Aleg, that 3.08 avx is the best sounding version for now. The later versions 3.09 ... 3.11 are too harsh in my ears. Also the 3.08 SSE2 sounds too harsh. I hope that further versions will develop more in the direction of 3.08 avx. Also earlier versions eg. 2.62 (mentioned by 3daudio) sound better then the latest one. But in my ears the 3.08 avx is the best one.

Regards Fujak
PC: i5, 8GB RAM, SSD, WS 2012 R2 (64bit) RAM loaded, AO | DDC: XMOS-WaveIO
10MHz-Master-Clock: Morion MV89 | Reclocker-Cascade: 3x Mutec MC-3+ | DAC: Audio-GD Master 7
Preamp: Audio-GD Master 1 | Speaker: Adam Tensor Epsilon | Sub: Teufel M11000 THX II
Aleg

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:Is that the same with sse2 Aleg? I found 3.11 ok last night. I had felt like what some of the others are reporting on the early 3.xx versions but I thought things had got better.

OK, it's finished.

I only did the sse2 3.11

Few observations:

1. The sound is much more mellow. Somewhat suppressed or restricted. It does not have the open character and longer decays that avx has and that gives avx that beautifull exceptional sound quality.

2. Sse2 3.11 does have space to the sound, but somewhat limited in size.

I don't think the sse2 is bad, but just not as good as the best of the avx like the 3.08.

The avx 3.08 really does give the impression of a live presence and being close to the stage, which the sse does not achieve.

As long as we don't get into the extremes which can sound bad in one way or another, I think the best of avx and the best of sse, is just a matter of preference for the character of the sound of each.
For me there is a clear difference in character of each and easily recognisable.

For those having problems with running the avx versions, make sure you have the checkbox "Run as Administrator". Set in the properties/compatibility tab of both mqncontrol.exe and the mqn1644.exe.
Also always try to run it at least twice when changing over from another version, I need to do that as well sometimes.
But checkbox "Run as Administrator" is mandatory for me otherwise it will start but no sound comes.

Back to listening avx 3.08 (and some more Art Blakey ;-))

Cheers

Aleg
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

3daudio wrote:Call me crazy, but I prefer 2.62 with avx control over 3.11 in whatever combination. All this on 24/96.

Sounds richer, more bass extension, deeper soundstage, more natural tone.

There you have it! Battle on guys...
One clear winner in the file size category though, these 3.xx versions at up to 20 times smaller.
Makes you wonder what all the junk was that was hanging around in the files back then!!!

Re: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by tony »

Aleg wrote:

OK, it's finished.

I only did the sse2 3.11

I don't think the sse2 is bad, but just not as good as the best of the avx like the 3.08.

For those having problems with running the avx versions, make sure you have the checkbox "Run as Administrator". Set in the properties/compatibility tab of both mqncontrol.exe and the mqn1644.exe.
Also always try to run it at least twice when changing over from another version, I need to do that as well sometimes.
But checkbox "Run as Administrator" is mandatory for me otherwise it will start but no sound comes.

.Back to listening avx 3.08 (and some more Art Blakey ;-))

Cheers

Aleg
Good glad your findings on 3.11 are similar to mine. Are you creating false hope here on avx? No Haswell no avx?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

3.12 more bass due to being 8 16 aligned 2 settings to give more detail and fast optimisation setting to give more authority, what's not to like ?

why is hells bells a good test track ? it opens with bells, which are hard to get to sound like bells and it's immediately obvious if there is any extra detail as the intermodulations interplay, then it's a particularly nasty compressed album that sounds awful on most players so it gives an indication of how well MQn is coping with that aspect, the opening guitar gives an indication of whether the treble is correct, then there are layers of sound as the track builds up, the bass then thuds into action giving an indication of bass and then the bass starts rumbling just before the vocals kick in, the vocals then start and give a good idea of staging and resolution and by that time I've had enough.