MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
cvrle59

Re: MQN

Post by cvrle59 »

I was yesterday at the local Harbeth dealer/distributor to listen and compare some speakers. Music was played by MQn of my laptop. One of the guys working inside and couple of customers hang up on to listen as "it sounded different" than they are used to hear from computers. They asked me a lot of questions about MQn, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of them already browsing through Gordon's blog or this forum.
Last edited by cvrle59 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Ken Moreland wrote:R2.4 is working fine for me on 16/44.1 and 24/96. No crackling or buzzing on either.
KM
bit of a mystery the crackling issue.

Only the 16/44 has the latest code, I'm sort of happy that it's near the best that I can get out of wasapi.

2.3 had lot's of detail, but a digital edge due to hardware prefetch, 2.4 seems to be a good compromise.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Dunno the sse2 s are giving same hassle
There good too but not the same agility or detail
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:Dunno the sse2 s are giving same hassle
versions should be compared with same instruction set ie sse2 with sse2 etc

have uploaded an avx 2.4 version
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
nige2000 wrote:Dunno the sse2 s are giving same hassle
versions should be compared with same instruction set ie sse2 with sse2 etc

have uploaded an avx 2.4 version
avx-2.3 is better than avx-2.4, because it has more details.
avx-2.4 has become slick and silky smooth and has lost most of its details.

avx-2.3 might even be better than avx2-100000.

Like it thusfar. Have not yet listened with many tracks but it has quite an appeal.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Regarding the crackling issues am I right in thinking some here now have these recent versions working after earlier having the crackling issues?
If anyone has managed to come up with a way around these issues could they please post their findings?

Must be off-putting for people coming here new to MQN with a recommendation to try the latest versions only to get this crackling so I would recommend newcomers try earlier versions until we get a handle on what is going on here.

I am going to give the recent versions one last try on an I7 Laptop with a fresh Win8 install with no tweaks or optimisations to see if they will work....fingers crossed.

Post by tony »

cvrle59 wrote:I was yesterday at the local Harbeth dealer/distributor to listen and compare some speakers. Music was played by MQn of my laptop. One of the guys working inside and couple of customers hang up on to listen as "it sounded different" than they are used to hear from computers. They asked me a lot of questions about MQn, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of them already browsing through Gordon's blog or this forum.
If in the UK you would be hanged immediately as software has no impact on anything. XP is fine bit perfect bobs your uncle. You and the people listening to the harbeths just heard the speakers nothing else. It was a mistake a mirage!!
What I find funny is the most vocal against MQn or anything else come from Gordon's home territory. People never seem to get what is right under their nose.
There is a guy who posts on PFM called Mark(Itemaudio) takes a bashing for selling linear supplies, tweaked pc's and myriad quality dacs.The guy allows demo's of all equipment and return if not suitable. The eggheads just bash him at every opportunity rather than grab the opportunity to try this stuff for Free!! Just mad brits in the midday sun in my view.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Ignore
Last edited by Aleg on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Sligolad wrote:Regarding the crackling issues am I right in thinking some here now have these recent versions working after earlier having the crackling issues?
If anyone has managed to come up with a way around these issues could they please post their findings?

Must be off-putting for people coming here new to MQN with a recommendation to try the latest versions only to get this crackling so I would recommend newcomers try earlier versions until we get a handle on what is going on here.

I am going to give the recent versions one last try on an I7 Laptop with a fresh Win8 install with no tweaks or optimisations to see if they will work....fingers crossed.
Pearse
I was mistaken. I had made an error copying a batch file for starting mqn.
It was actually pointing to the. .......... 100000 version instead of the R2.3 and R2.4.

Both R2.3 and R2.4 still give no sound at all on my main system.

Cheers

Aleg
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded R2.5 sse2 and avx, worked out how to put the whole render loop in assembly (well Yamamoto2002 showed me how to do it, many thanks to him).

Of course, it makes a difference.

can play avx during build and optimisation, but not standalone, grr.

uses the normal render loop so hopefully no issues with crackles.

It's a big step towards an analogue like sound. Listening to J Lee Hooker The Healer, pretty breathtaking detail and solidity of sound.