Building a Library on BBC Radio 3 on 22 February 2014

james

Re: Building a Library on BBC Radio 3 on 22 February 2014

Post by james »

Seán wrote: Yes , it is and is was a great programme, do you want me to 'dish the dirt'? [Hint] Darren would be pleased.
Next week it's West Side [feckin'] Story, yuck!
Yes please .. who won ?

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Seán

Post by Seán »

james wrote:
Seán wrote: Yes , it is and is was a great programme, do you want me to 'dish the dirt'? [Hint] Darren would be pleased.
Next week it's West Side [feckin'] Story, yuck!
Yes please .. who won ?

james
Well it started with Toscainni's stirring 1936 recording:

he was positive about Klemperer:

considered Zinman anodyne when compared to Gardiner's latest Seventh, I quite liked the excerpt he played:

Considered Immersel's forces too light (I HAVE TO AGREE). they are actually half the number Beethoven recommended, where's the sense in that?

In the end he gave favourable mention to the last winner. I LOVE what I have heard of Kleiber's recording, I must get it, this is just heavenly music-making:

BUT THE WINNER was the wonderful Charles Mackerras with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra:
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
considered Zinman anodyne when compared to Gardiner's latest Seventh, I quite liked the excerpt he played:

In the end he gave favourable mention to the last winner. I LOVE what I have heard of Kleiber's recording, I must get it, this is just heavenly music-making:

The entire Zinman cycle from which that seventh is taken is a little bit more than anodyne IMHO.

Seán, that Kleiber version of Beethoven 5 is also magnificent; it is a disc well worth having on your shelf.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
james

Post by james »

Thanks Sean
James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:

The entire Zinman cycle from which that seventh is taken is a little bit more than anodyne IMHO.
I expect it is.
Seán, that Kleiber version of Beethoven 5 is also magnificent; it is a disc well worth having on your shelf.
Thanks Fergus, I am trying to avoid buying yet more performances of Beethoven's symphonies, that said, I do listen to them all the time so I would probably be daft to avoid getting it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler