Tweaker's Rash

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: Tweaker's Rash

Post by Aleg »

Have you ever heard the joke about the grass and two sides of a fence? LOL.

Don't mind me, I will join you shortly with a Beagleboard Black and we can develop a rash together.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:Have you ever heard the joke about the grass and two sides of a fence? LOL.

Don't mind me, I will join you shortly with a Beagleboard Black and we can develop a rash together.

Cheers

Aleg

lol

my gut says we wont best mqn OOB or anytime soon

its just the disease we have
we must tinker
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:oh dear
this is starting to look like audiophile windows to go allover again

no turning back now
Yea, it certainly feels that way - here I am after I don't know how many hours & still no real progress.
My experience so far:
- first off the tool suggested to be used to create the image on SD card, win32diskimager continually hung & froze, needing me to power off the laptop with the on/off switch. Standard shutdown never id shutdown - I gave up after about 15mins waiting
- I'm not fully sure how I finally got it to work - I think it had to do with deleting all partitions on the SD card but I couldn't swear that's the secret formula
- PiCorePlayer SD card boots in seconds but I don't seem to have Squeezelite running - I'm not sure about this yet
- Volumio SD card boots in about 3-4mins & requires all devices to be plugged in at boot time (USB DAC, USB card, Lan cable) whereas PiCorePlayer seems to allow plugging & unplugging of devices while the system is running. No sound via USB DAC yet

............to be continued
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Aleg wrote:Have you ever heard the joke about the grass and two sides of a fence? LOL.

Cheers

Aleg
Yea, I reckon now that the grass we see on the other side of the fence is just the other man's rash having turned into gangrene :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

partitioning and formatting can be a big deal
after series of issues with installs
i now clean and partition all the time before installs much higher success rate
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
mjock3

Post by mjock3 »

I just have to stop reading all these forums, just bought a Beagle Bone Black. I hope I can figure out how to use it. ;)
LowOrbit

Post by LowOrbit »

nige2000 wrote:

Cheers

Aleg

lol

we must tinker
Deary Me Nige - MQN isn't in the ballpark - just takes a bit of perseverance.

Mark
RPi/piCorePlayer/Buffalo2/DSP/NCores/Active Impulse H2s
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

LowOrbit wrote:
nige2000 wrote:

Cheers

Aleg

lol

we must tinker
Deary Me Nige - MQN isn't in the ballpark - just takes a bit of perseverance.

Mark
Mark

That sounds very promising.

Could you sort of separate the effect of the Raspberry and Buffalo DAC on sound quality?
Did you use the Buffalo before with another player?

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Don't mind my frustration & impatience, I'm just venting here rather than kicking the dog :)
It should be expected that there will be teething problems as the software is in beta & the hardware is relatively new.
Thanks Mark, for reporting from the front-line - did you try the linear supply yet - SQ improvement?
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Anyone consider an udoo?

due to marks comments im watching the postman, though i think ill be lucky to see it before the wkend:(