JLP wdm-ks player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
m5lig

Re: JLP wdm-ks player

Post by m5lig »

Fran wrote:

Lets keep it all positive! We all care about computer audio - and we all enjoy and are grateful for the obvious contribution sgbk has made to our hobby, but also the very valuable contributions that many many others have made - on PC builds, on testing, power supplies, and with encouragement. This is the internet and collaboration at its best.

Fran
Thats all very well , but a forum's vitality stems from its contributors not so much its moderators.

Have you learnt anything Fran from this episode ? How did your decision right at the very beginning ,in spite of polite and reasoned adult requests and evidence of past events supplied by those same contributors , benefit the forum ? You welcomed trouble and trouble came.
Asrock z87m extreme4, i5 4670K, winserver2012 R2, paul pang usb card v1, sotm dx usb, minidsp 4x10 Hd, rotel 1066 amps, linkwitz LX521 speakers.
wushuliu

Post by wushuliu »

Haven't been following this new thread much but looks like things have gone awry and I saw the name 'Julf' mentioned.

If it has not already been made clear to the moderators Julf has been banned from at least one other forum, maybe more and has a very clear pattern of trolling threads. I have seen his posts at other places over the years and there is only one outcome to his rhetoric and I think it's evident that he enjoys it. Certainly coming here after the causing trouble at CA over MQN qualifies as trolling with deliberate intent to disrupt.

He should not be allowed to post.

Oops, I see he has been banned. Excellent.
Eclipse W6520R/Satori TW29R MTM
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Now one distrubing issue finally has been resolved, I like to ask you about the recent JlP 25/20 release.

The other good news is that Gordon is still quietly following us in this thread.

Does anybody else notice anything 'strange' about the character or level of the bass in relation to the other tonal spectrum?

Gordon described it as having introduced a nice bit of slam and maybe that is of benefit for his type of music (which I don't know about), but to my music (classical music and jazz) it has become totally out of balance and overpowering. It is even booming, an issue I have recently managed to bannish from my setup with the DRC. I'm looking for clues to possible causes.

I am a bit confused about it all because on the other hand I think it also shows good detail and transparancy in mid and in higher frequency ranges. But I feel the bass is totally out of control and out of character and balance compared to the rest of the spectrum.

Any other experiences or opinions?

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
tony

Post by tony »

Aleg as of last night it had moved on to V27. Tried it briefly but not sure what to make of it as last night anything I listened too sounded bright. Not sure if I am missing the extra sheets of EMI paper or maybe just a bad ear day! I was using the motorbike yesterday so maybe I fried my ears.So I gave up. Bass was not a problem for me though. Will go at it again over the weekend and try it running squeezelite as a service. Gordon seems to e in creative mode as it is like early mid MQn with versions coming thick and fast.

Probably best to move on from the earlier stuff but would suggest Fran should consider removing all the crap from this thread. Just to note Fran is the main driver of this site and has given 100%+ since it began.He has opened up his house many times for meet ups and helped many of us with the myriad of problems that happen with hifi equipment. It is a testament to Fran and the people who normallly populate the site that this is the first 'real' incident that required moderation. Maybe remove this comment also as I would prefer we just get back to basics.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

Hi Aleg,

Having listened to alot of software players, I always felt JLP version's pre v24, were lacking bass weight and depth.
I found myself dialling up my dual velodyne dd10's by 1.5db to compensate.

Heres my comment on CA...
Thanks SBGK

V25 is sounding very impressive in my humble opinion....
I must say V24 & V25 both have fantastic bass extension and weight, especially when compared to pre V24 versions.

Looking forward to trying portaudio_X64 v20
Cheers again
2CA

Aleg I am no bass pig, I like my bass integrated seamlessly and rendering a balanced spectrum....
In saying this I do like ample weight and dynamic depth in my bass reproduction, which I feel V25-27 is particularly delivering...

Personally, It was a nice surprise to hear the extra weight and body provided in the latest releases... I now feel the bass rendering is a better match for the transparency JLP player is now offering up (with v27 squeezelite and LMS loaded as services).

Aeg, I would not describe the bass as bloated... If any improvements are to be made here, I would be concentrating on tonal accuracy and detail.

On a separate note, I hope we can all agree to provide support for the marvellous JLP software on one forum site!!
Following 2 threads is a bit of a hassle. ;)

2CA
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

2channelaudio wrote:Hi Aleg,

Having listened to alot of software players, I always felt JLP version's pre v24, were lacking bass weight and depth.
I found myself dialling up my dual velodyne dd10's by 1.5db to compensate.

Heres my comment on CA...
Thanks SBGK

V25 is sounding very impressive in my humble opinion....
I must say V24 & V25 both have fantastic bass extension and weight, especially when compared to pre V24 versions.

Looking forward to trying portaudio_X64 v20
Cheers again
2CA

Aleg I am no bass pig, I like my bass integrated seamlessly and rendering a balanced spectrum....
In saying this I do like ample weight and dynamic depth in my bass reproduction, which I feel V25-27 is particularly delivering...

Personally, It was a nice surprise to hear the extra weight and body provided in the latest releases... I now feel the bass rendering is a better match for the transparency JLP player is now offering up (with v27 squeezelite and LMS loaded as services).

Aeg, I would not describe the bass as bloated... If any improvements are to be made here, I would be concentrating on tonal accuracy and detail.
I will move over the the latest version and run both server and lite as a service. Had running just lite a service yesterday.

I had quite an intensive day at work yesterday, so maybe I was not in best of conditions for critical listening, but I had to turn off v25/20 because of the bass and get back to 2.71.
2channelaudio wrote:
On a separate note, I hope we can all agree to provide support for the marvellous JLP software on one forum site!!
Following 2 threads is a bit of a hassle. ;)

2CA
Agree it is a bit of a hassle, so gordon come back over here :-).

I will do my posting here on TirNa as I don't like the CA-forum one bit.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

Just spun some tunes listening to Mqn 2.59.....

In my book Mqn is still winning.
JLP still has a long way to go, to achieve the air and mid range transparency present in Mqn.
Mqn presents a richer tone through the mid bands with amazing transparency.

I'm thinking Mqn + remote desktop is still the unbeatable combination.

2CA
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

I am happy that Fran finally took care of situation, otherwise I wouldn't write a word here, I just can't stand people like that.
Thanks Fran
I already wrote on CA that V27 is the best so far. The most important thing is that Gordon is making good progress, and if it's not there yet, it'll be soon. I was listening to it last night for 2.5 hours, and it was the first time that I felt I could stay with it for long time. I need to go back to MQn to feel the difference, it was too late I had to go to sleep, I just didn't want to switch last night.
I am pretty sure now, if we didn't taste MQn at it's best, we would be very happy with current JLp. Gordon raised the bar very high with MQn, it is so hard to jump over it, but not impossible.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Thanks Fran, good move and I agree that shotgun was just a joke. In the end I was the one to whom applied and i take it like funny.

GOOORRDOOOON COME HOOOOOME!!!
Last edited by sima66 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

2channelaudio wrote:Just spun some tunes listening to Mqn 2.59.....

In my book Mqn is still winning.
JLP still has a long way to go, to achieve the air and mid range transparency present in Mqn.
Mqn presents a richer tone through the mid bands with amazing transparency.

I'm thinking Mqn + remote desktop is still the unbeatable combination.

2CA

I am inclined to agree completely but don't want to stick my head in the sand. JLP may surprise us all some seem converted already.
Sure we were bowled over at 2.43 and when 2.59 was reached that was nirvana.
Must go back and try that one because I remember the Vinyl lads on the night were hugely impressed with MQn on first listen
Most of these guys didn't know what software player or device was playing but all sat up and listened when MQn entered the fray.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.